It is always nice to have a bank of quick and hearty meals that you can throw together on those busy weeknights. This Doritos Chicken Casserole is sure to make the list and will instantly become a family favorite!
Table of Contents
Doritos Chicken Casserole
Casseroles have a bit of a reputation for being complicated dishes that require hours in the kitchen and a ton of ingredients. But, that really does not have to be the case. It is possible to throw together a quick, nutritious, healthy casserole that will go down well with the whole family on even the busiest weeknights.
This Doritos Chicken Casserole uses ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen and requires almost no prep time to put together. The longest part of the process is giving the casserole at least 30 minutes in the oven to cook, which gives you plenty of time to tidy up or get other chores out of the way.
As an added bonus, this casserole is sure to be an instant hit with the kids when you mention the word Doritos. If you are looking for a new weeknight meal that will leave you with clean plates all around, look no further than this Doritos chicken casserole recipe.
Doritos Chicken Casserole Ingredients
Make sure you look at the recipe card at the very bottom for the exact amounts so that you know exactly what to buy for this recipe.
• Nacho cheese-flavored Doritos
• Rotisserie chicken (or 2 cooked chicken breasts)
• Shredded cheese
• Diced tomatoes and green chilies (Ro-Tel)
• Condensed cream of chicken soup
• Sour cream
• 2% milk
• Taco seasoning
How To Make Doritos Chicken Casserole
• Lightly spray a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray
• In a large bowl, stir together the condensed soup, sour cream, milk, taco seasoning, and can of tomatoes until well mixed
• Add in the chicken and 2 cups of the cheese and stir to combine
• Spread half of the crushed chips into the bottom of the prepared baking dish, and then spread half of the chicken mixture, the rest of the Doritos, and then the rest of the chicken mixture
• Add the remaining 1/2 cup cheese on top
• Cover the dish with foil and bake at 350 Fahrenheit for 30 – 40 minutes
• Garnish with cilantro and serve
What Else To Top Your Doritos Chicken Casserole With
This Doritos chicken casserole is great on its own, but why not add a side salad or some vegetables to make it a complete meal?
The addition of lettuce and tomatoes works particularly well with this Doritos chicken casserole. Try shredding your lettuce and dicing the tomatoes to make a salad bed that you can then serve the casserole on top of.
The combination of lettuce and tomatoes with every bite adds a nice crunch and extra layer of texture. Plus, by placing the salad on the bottom, your family will be several mouthfuls in and already engrossed before they even notice the hidden veggies.
You can also experiment with other popular salad ingredients such as shredded carrot or rounds of cucumber. Adding a salad is the perfect way to use up those ingredients going off in the fridge.
Alternatively, you could serve your casserole with some steamed vegetables to help pack additional nutrients into your weeknight meal. The vegetables can be prepared and cooked while the casserole is in the oven, adding no extra cooking time to the meal.
Should You Use Rotisserie Chicken Or Cooked Chicken Breasts?
Both rotisserie chicken and home-cooked chicken breasts work well in this Doritos chicken casserole recipe. It really comes down to how much time you want to spend in the kitchen and the level of flavor intensity that you prefer.
One of the things that makes this casserole recipe ideal for a weeknight family meal is just how quick it is to put together. Using a rotisserie chicken makes this dish even quicker and easier to make while dealing with all of the other stresses of the week.
All you really need to do with a rotisserie chicken is cut off the breasts and any other pieces of chicken that you wish to add to the casserole, and you are ready to start putting the dish together. You can then save the rest of the chicken for a salad the next day, getting you two meals out of only one chicken!
A rotisserie chicken also has the benefit that it requires no additional seasoning. The district and much-loved flavors of a rotisserie chicken are carried over to the casserole, giving a much deeper level of flavor than you would get with a plainly cooked chicken breast.
Try Baked Chicken Breasts
If you have a little extra time or want to go for something healthier, try baking a few chicken breasts for your casserole instead of using a rotisserie chicken. Choosing baked chicken breasts also allows you to add your own seasoning to the meat and tailor the casserole to your family’s taste.
You could also try preparing your chicken breasts in advance to save time during the week. Why not bulk cook a batch of chicken breasts at the weekend with your own seasoning blends and then store them in the freezer, ready to make your casserole at a later point.
Looking for more quick and tasty Casserole recipes? Try these out:
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you’ll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
Doritos Chicken Casserole
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 40 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 459 gram bag nacho cheese-flavored Doritos (lightly Crushed)
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken (or 2 cooked chicken breasts) (cut into small pieces)
- 2 1/2 cups Shredded cheese (divided)
- 1 can mild diced tomatoes and green chiles (Ro-tel)
- 1 can Condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 Package taco seasoning
- Cilantro (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 °. Lightly spray a 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the condensed soup, sour cream, milk, taco seasoning and can of tomatoes until well mixed. Add in the chicken and 2 cup of the cheese and stir to combine.
- Spread half of the crushed chips into the bottom of the prepared baking dish, then spread half of the chicken mixture, the rest of the Doritos, and then the rest of the chicken mixture. Add the remaining 1/2 cup cheese on top.
- Cover the dish with foil.
- Bake for 30 – 40 minutes. Garnish with cilantro if desired.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.