There’s nothing I like better than a good chocolate chip cookie, as most of you can probably tell from the large amounts of chocolate chip cookie recipes I come up with here on The Kitchen Magpie. I have thick chocolate chip cookie recipes, I have buttery thin crispy chocolate chip cookie recipes, you name it, I have almost concocted them all.
Then along comes my slight dairy intolerance. I had talked briefly in my recipe for Gluten Free Sausage Potato soup that I had some food intolerances show up when I was tested, all mild, none severe, but still enough to prod me into discovering new ways to cut down on certain allergens, such as gluten.
Dairy ended up being the one area that I needed to cut out the most. Luckily we haven’t drank cows milk in almost a decade now so that wasn’t hard, but cheese and butter? Oh dear. You’re telling a food blogger to cut down on butter? Say what?!?!
First, most soy butter replacements taste nasty. Just heinous. I’m sorry if anyone out there likes them, but I have tried them all and very few don’t suck. When testing out my Vegan Buttercream Icing recipe, I literally tried every replacement you could find on Edmonton store shelves.
That was one expensive recipe.
I did find that Becel Vegan margarine tastes nice off the spoon – which means that it will taste well in your baking- but it’s not the best for baking with. When mixing it with the sugar, you will see that it has a high water content as it separates. It’s not so simple as just throwing in a replacement for butter, you must look at how it reacts in your baking!
I have an affinity for Earth Balance’s Coconut flavor spread, one of the only butter replacement products I like taste-wise from them.
The coconut oil in the spread gives these a much-needed crispness that you lose using a lot of the butter replacements and I found it was excellent in this recipe. By using half a cup the coconut flavor was not overpowering and these were a smash hit with the whole family!
Dairy free chocolate chips can even be found now at Superstore and they are not that much more expensive than good quality regular chips. I like the Enjoy Life brand – the chunks are AMAZING to bake with!- and have found them for $3.99 a bag on sale at Planet Organic, have also found them at Superstore and it’s in the back of my head that I found them at Walmart even. (I will be looking into that again to see if my memory is correct) Camino are also very tasty and I like the simple ingredients.
- 1/2 cup of Becel Vegan Margarine
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance Coconut Flavored Spread
- 1 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup of white flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups of large flake oats
- 1- 1 1/2 cups of Dairy Free chocolate chips
- Kick the tires and light the fires to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together your butter replacements and sugars. Once those are light and fluffy, beat in the eggs and vanilla, again until it’s light, airy and completely combined.
- Take the flour and mix the baking soda in, then add to the bowl. Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are blended in. Add in the oats, mixing until they are through the dough.
- Take your dairy free chocolate chips mix them in by hand.
- Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Take a golf ball sized scoop and roll into said golf ball.
- Then flatten them either between your palms or on the cookie sheets.
- Fit 6 six to a sheet. Or, if you choose to do larger ones, space accordingly.
- You must flatten them to achieve the flat yet chewy goodness you see in the photos.
- Bake in the 350 degree oven for 7-8 minutes, watch them carefully, then pull them out when they look browned like below. They might be a little soft in the middle â€“ good!
- Cool them on the sheets completely.
I hope that I find everyone warm and cozy this cold, snowy weekend here in Edmonton. Bake up some of these cookies to fight the winter blues! What’s everyone up to today? We are waiting for our new piano to be delivered – I’m vibrating with excitement!- sadly we had to postpone another weekend of ice fishing, we have two birthday parties tomorrow, basement items to be picked up for the contractor and somehow I have to try to find the laundry and get it done.
Happy Saturday everyone! Enjoy yet another chocolate chip cookie recipe from me, give dairy free a whirl!
Tis The Season for Being Busy Magpie