Did you know that cooking a whole chicken in your crockpot is the easiest thing ever? I came up with this Crockpot Honey Garlic Whole Chicken & Vegetables when I had a whole chicken staring me down from the fridge. I had actually intended to cook it up and use it for a cookbook recipe, but then change my mind at the last-minute and used all chicken breast.
Which left me with a defrosted whole chicken that I needed to use up stat.
I took Mike’s Mom’s easy honey garlic chicken recipe and decided that we were going to try it over a whole chicken in the crockpot. Low and slow allllll day long.
It worked like a charm. This crockpot honey garlic whole chicken is now on my permanent dinner rotation list.
Now a few things to note about this recipe.
The sauce won’t be as thick as a honey garlic that you cook in the oven, thanks to all the vegetable and chicken juices. (Ew. I said chicken juice. Sorry about that but it’s true.) The sauce is not thick but it is seriously amazing. You can thicken it up if you want to, simply drain the juices into a pot and bring to a boil on the stove and whisk in some cornstarch. It will thicken up perfectly.
The chicken itself won’t be browned on top like my photos unless you tuck it under your oven broiler for a few minutes. Simply remove your crockpot insert and place in the oven, they are meant to do that!
I know that this was a hit when my son, the notorious chicken-meal-hater, ate an enormous plate of this and said he loved it. Winner winner Crockpot Honey Garlic Whole Chicken for dinner!!!!
Happy cooking all!
Pin this to your Supper Ideas or Crockpot Recipes Boards!
Crockpot Honey Garlic Whole Chicken & Vegetables! Roast a whole chicken in your crockpot with a delicious honey garlic sauce & vegetables for the perfect easy dinner!
- 1 whole chicken, 3-4 lbs, trussed
- 4 cups of peeled potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 2-4 cups of carrots, chopped into large pieces
- 1/2 cup soy sauce ( make it low sodium if salt bothers you)
- 1 cup liquid honey
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Place the potatoes into your slow cooker. Arrange the chicken on top, making sure that the lid will still fit. You might have to shift vegetables around to do so.
- Place the carrots on top.
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients, then pour over the chicken.
- Place the lid on top (using tinfoil between to seal if wanted) and cook on low for 8-9 hours or on high for 5-6.
- Remove the inner liner and broil the chicken under your oven broiler until it browns up – this gives it that slight ” burnt sugar” taste with the honey garlic. Slight. Don’t burn it!
- If you want to thicken the sauce, remove some sauce from the slow cooker ( a baster works well) and whisk 1-2 tbsp of cornstarch into 1/4 up cold water. Whisk into the sauce then bring to a low boil on the stove until the mixture thickens and turns clear.
- Serve and enjoy.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. Actual nutritional numbers will vary due to cooking methods, your ingredient measurements and brands of products used.