A tasty, refreshing, and light crab salad is the perfect light lunch. For those that are a little bit hungrier, though, why not try turning it into a sandwich?
Table of Contents
Crab Salad Sandwiches
A lot of people think that pretty much anything delicious can be made even better by putting it in a sandwich.
While not everyone can afford to fit extra carbs into their diet, the bread usually does improve most things.
This recipe for crab salad sandwiches uses some flaky and crumbly croissants as the bread, and it works surprisingly well to help soak up all of the tangy flavors of the salad!
Crab Salad Sandwiches Ingredients
Make sure you look at the recipe card at the very bottom for the exact amounts so that you know exactly what to buy for this recipe.
• Croissants, sliced lengthwise
• Crab meat, or even imitation crab meat
• Salt & pepper
• Lemon juice
• Fresh dill
• Old bay seasoning
How To Make Crab Salad Sandwiches
• Coarsely chop or break apart the crab into small pieces
• Finely chop the celery
• Toss the celery, crab, salt, pepper, and old bay seasoning together in a medium-sized bowl
• Stir the mayo, lemon juice, and dill together in a cup
• Pour the mayo mix over the crab and toss gently to coat
• Fill the croissant with crab and garnish with green onion on top if desired
Why Use Croissants For This Recipe?
Croissants are definitely not a typical bread choice for making sandwiches. Normally, just a simple loaf of white bread would be recommended because you don’t necessarily want the flavor of the bread to overpower the intense flavor of your chosen filling.
The thing about croissants, however, is not so much the flavor they provide but the texture. Their flaky, buttery layers help to provide an intense crunch and crispy crackliness in every bite.
This extreme textural sensation is perfect for pairing with fillings that are more diverse in their consistency and mouthfeel. Seeing as this crab salad is basically completely mixed together, having that little bit of extra crunch in every bite really makes for an amazing, crunchy and textural lunch.
If you really don’t like croissants for whatever reason, you can also just use a really crusty roll. Anything with a lot of crunch and texture is perfect for helping to lift this sandwich to another level.
Turning This Crab Salad Sandwich Vegan
Being a vegan is never easy, especially because most recipes always seem to include all kinds of animal products, from butter and milk to actual meat; most recipes just aren’t vegan and cannot easily be converted to be vegan either.
This recipe, however, is super easy to turn vegan – you just need to do a little bit of preparation!
The crab meat is the easiest; you can probably find imitation crab meat right next to the cans of regular crab meat.
The only other thing that isn’t vegan is the mayonnaise. Most mayonnaises are made with eggs; to get a vegan mayo, you have a couple of different options.
You can either make it yourself or just pick up a vegan mayo if your local store has it.
The only reason eggs are needed in mayonnaise, besides the color and flavor, is to act as an emulsifier, so there are plenty of other ways to get those emulsification properties into a mayo, such as soy milk or aquafaba.
The final thing is the croissants – croissants are made with a lot of butter, which is obviously not vegan. Simply swap to a regular crusty roll or a sourdough loaf for a good vegan substitute for croissants if you want.
However, you choose to do it, with just a couple of substitutions, you can have some really delicious vegan crab salad sandwiches!
Looking for more delicious Sandwich recipes? Try these out:
PIN THIS RECIPE to your Sandwiches and Seafood Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Learn to cook like the Kitchen Magpie
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you’ll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
Crab Salad Sandwiches
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Main Course
- 4 people
- Karlynn Johnston
- 4 croissants (sliced lengthwise)
- 1 pound crab meat (or imitation crab meat flake style)
- 1/3 cup celery (diced)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (to taste)
- 2 teaspoon dill (fresh dill if available)
- 1/2 teaspoon old bay seasoning
- Coarsely chop or break apart the imitation crab into small pieces.
- Finely chop the celery.
- Toss the celery, crab, salt, and pepper, in a medium-sized bowl.
- Stir the mayonnaise, lemon juice, old bay seasoning and dill together in a bowl or cup.
- Pour the mayonnaise mix over the crab and toss gently to coat.
- Fill your croissant with the mixed crab meat and garnish with green onion on top if desired.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.