This Beef & Tomato Macaroni Soup is one of the best soups you can make, especially for colder weather as it warms you right up. It’s easy to make and a classic from my childhood. I hope you like it!
Table of Contents
Beef & Tomato Macaroni Soup is super easy to make
What I love about this method is that you pre-cook the noodles (morning of, day before, it doesn’t matter) and then you add them in at the end of the day, just long enough to heat them up. The soup simmers all day long if you want, then when you come home, you have it waiting for you. Just add the pre-made noodles and there’s dinner!
Precooked noodles make this a snap!
Precook your noodles the day before or the morning of and just add them in during the process at the end to heat them up. It’s that easy!
Other Delicious Beef Soup Recipes
Beef & Tomato Macaroni Soup Tips & Tricks
- My biggest suggestion for this recipe is to drain and rinse the ground beef. You can see that this soup has a bit of grease in it (and oh…that is what makes it so lovely!) but a lot of recipes don’t even have you drain it. I suggest doing so as you don’t want a ton of grease in your soup.
- The stronger the beef broth the more beefy your soup will end up and a little extra Worcestershire sauce helps with that as well! I prefer adding in dry macaroni 30 minutes before serving but if you are in a time crunch at the end of the day, pre-cook and then add the pasta in.
Classic Beef & Tomato Macaroni Soup
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 8 hours
- Total Time
- 8 hours 15 minutes
- Main Course
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups beef broth very strong
- One 28 ounce can Chopped Tomatoes
- One 28 ounce can whole Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar to taste if you have a sweeter ketchup you may not need it
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cups cooked elbow macaroni OR 2 cups dry macaroni to add in at the end
- salt and pepper as desired
- In a medium frying pan, brown the ground beef, onion and garlic until ground beef is no longer pink. Drain the grease (I also like to rinse it with hot water to remove most of the grease) and place in a large crockpot.
- Add the broth, cans of chopped and whole tomatoes, Worcestershire, ketchup,brown sugar (if wanted) and Italian seasoning. Add more sugar and Worcestershire to taste if needed. Place the lid on the crockpot and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- When you are ready to serve, either add the dry macaroni and let cook for 20-25 minutes OR add cooked macaroni. Let the macaroni heat through and serve!
Instant Pot Directions
- Press the saute button and fry the ground beef and onions until the beef is no longer pink. Add in the garlic. Fry for another minute or so. Drain the grease.
- Use the Instant Pot like the slow cooker, using the slow cook button and the instructions above OR
- Add in the remaining ingredients except for the macaroni. Cook on the SOUP setting for 10 minutes. ( this really helps get the beef flavor going.) Release the pressure manually.
- Add the DRY macaroni, (not cooked or it will be mush!) then cook for 10 minutes on the SOUP setting again. Release manually or with the NPR ( naturally)
- Serve and enjoy!
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.