Folks, do I have a golden oldie of a recipe for you here that my sister and I dug up when I was in Calgary for a week doing all of the media for my cookbook.
Chocolate raisin cookies.
Let’s see if my Dad still reads my website, because if he does, he’s going to be emailing us and asking for these to be on the Christmas table this year. As many of you know, my dad loves raisins and chocolate together, probably more than any other flavour combination out there. He was the inspiration for the most amazing chocolate zucchini cake you are ever going to eat – the recipe is in my cookbook, however, so you’ll have to buy it here to get it, sorry! – and now these cookies.
Dad, you totally better still be reading this, or no cookies for you.
It almost doesn’t get more old fashioned than chocolate and raisin together, so I knew as soon as I saw this recipe in my Mom’s recipe box that I had to give the cookies a whirl. Raisins are fabulous in chocolate cake, so really, why not a chocolate cookie?
Why not indeed.
These turned out to be delicious little bites of chocolate raisin heaven.
I love that you roll them in the crushed almonds, it turns it into a, well, Fruit & Nut Bar kind of cookie. Man, that used to be my favorite chocolate bar for a while, speaking of having a love for raisins and chocolate together. Cadbury Fruit and Nut bar. These cookies definitely remind me of those, the toasted nuts, the chocolate and the raisins, of course.
So who has made these before? I had honestly never heard of these cookies before and I can’t find them online, either.
Happy Baking! Have you all started thinking about what you’re baking this Christmas yet?
I haven’t. I’m ignoring it.
Love you more than chocolate,
PIN THIS RECIPE to your COOKIE RECIPES Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
How to make decadent Chocolate Raisin Cookies!
- 1 package semi sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup butter / shortening
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup crushed almonds
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream together the butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla.
- Melt the chocolate chips and mix into the creamed butter mixture.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking soda and salt, add creamed buttter mixture and stir well.
- Mix in oats, milk and and raisins.
- Once combined well, chill for 1 hour then form into small balls and roll in the crushed almonds.
- Place on greased cookie sheet, bake for 11-13 minutes.
- Cool for a few minutes before removing from the pan.