What could be better than chocolate and cherry together? Not a whole heck of a lot, in my books at least. These are a front runner for my favorite square, I think the lemon ones just come out ahead. Barely.
They were also a fun baking activity for my daughter and I, give her a butterknife, cutting board and cherries and she chopped till she couldn’t chop anymore.
1 1/4 cups of flour
1/2 cup of butter
1/3 cup of brown sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 cup of brown sugar
3/4 cup of chopped up cherries, maraschino or glazed
1 cup of sweetened shredded coconut
3/4 cup of chocolate chips
2 tbsp of flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups of icing sugar
4 tbsp butter
1 1/2 – 2 tbsp of cream
1/4 tsp of almond extract
Get your slave labor started chopping those cherries.
Mix your crust layers together, until they are a lovely crumbly mixture just waiting for a 9×9 pan.
Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes until slightly browned.
Combine everything for the middle layer, then when the crust is done, pour it on top. So easy.
Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until it’s set in the middle and oh-so beautifully browned on top like below.
Cool it completely and then you can start the best part; the icing!
Whip up those icing ingredients until fluffy and adjust the almond extract to your taste. I find the extract in the icing took these square from great to absolutely mouth-watering. The hint of cherry topped them off completely.
Spread on the cooled squares and let it set. I always throw it in the fridge for a while before I cut the squares, it makes cutting them much neater.
Be prepared to love these! Mike has declared these the best I have ever made, but really, he says that about everything sweet.
He really means it this time, I think. He wouldn’t take them into work, so usually when he hoards something jealously like that, it’s a favorite.
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!
Chocolate Cherry Squares
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 20 minutes
- Total Time
- 30 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup maraschino cherries
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2-2 tablespoons cream
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Start chopping those cherries.
- Mix your crust layers together, until they are a lovely crumbly mixture just waiting for a 9x9 pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes until slightly browned.
- Combine everything for the middle layer, then when the crust is done, pour it on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until it's set in the middle and oh-so beautifully browned on top like below. Cool it completely and then you can start the best part; the icing!
- Whip up those icing ingredients until fluffy and adjust the almond extract to your taste.
- Spread on the cooled squares and let it set. I always throw it in the fridge for a while before I cut the squares, it makes cutting them much neater.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.