This truly is the best chocolate buttercream frosting recipe ever. You’ll have to read on to see my secrets! I can’t believe that it’s taken me this long to come up with a chocolate buttercream icing that I liked. I have to be honest and admit that I only have tried on a couple of occasions to whip one up, but they never seemed to compare to my regular Best Buttercream Icing recipe.
How to Make Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Of course, this chocolate buttercream frosting because I put everything I could think of in it. Cocoa? Check. Melted chocolate? Check. Instant coffee? Checkity check check. And that’s how my recipes come about.If at first you don’t succeed, throw everything into the mixer and pray! Words to live by my friends, words to live by. Really though, I took everything I could think of from all the recipes I have ever come across in my baking years and just put the best of it all together.You need more than just cocoa, but the dry bitterness really is a must. Do I even need to explain melted chocolate and salted butter together? No. I do not. Because I am sure as you are reading this your heart just skipped a beat with chocolate lust seeing those words together.
Melted chocolate. Salted butter. Amen.
- 1 cup salted butter
- ½ cup of unsweetened cocoa
- 3 ounce one squares of melted then cooled semi-sweet chocolate
- ½ tsp instant coffee
- 1-2 tbsp heavy cream
- 3 ¼ – 3 ¾ cups icing sugar
- Melt your three chocolate squares in the microwave, slowly and carefully until they
are liquidy smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Whip the butter in your mixer using the paddle attachment until it’s light and fluffy.
- Add in the cocoa, beating until combined.When the chocolate is cool, add it to the
butter. Make sure it’s cooled!! Beat until it’s mixed through completely.
- Dissolve the instant coffee into the one tablespoon of cream, then add to the butter mixture
- Now you can put in the icing sugar one cup at a time, beating until combined.
- Adjust the thickness/texture by using another tablespoon of cream, adding it
slowly until the texture you want is achieved.
So without further ado, the best recipe for Chocolate Buttercream Frosting/Icing! So creamy. So dreamy. So super chocolate bliss. Best chocolate buttercream icing ever!!! Feel free to play around with the amounts of everything listed and create the balance that is right for your taste buds. I just know that you most certainly need more than just cocoa, you need melted chocolate and a dash of coffee taste to make this amazing!
Happy Baking everyone!
The Chocolate Buttercream Frosting Rocks My Nest Magpie
PIN this picture to your DESSERTS BOARD and remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Total Time
- 10 minutes
- 15 cupcakes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 cup salted butter
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa
- 3 ounces one squares of melted then cooled semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 ¼ - 3 3/4 cups icing sugar
- Melt your three chocolate squares in the microwave, slowly and carefully until they are liquidy smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Whip the butter in your mixer until it's light and fluffy.
- Add in the cocoa, beating until combined.When the chocolate is cool, add it to the butter. Make sure it's cooled!!
- Add the instant coffee to one tablespoon of cream, then add to the butter mixture
- .Now you can put in the icing sugar one cup at a time, beating until combined.
- Adjust the thickness/texture by using another tablespoon of cream, adding it slowly until the texture you want is achieved.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.