This fabulous chicken pot pie soup has all the comforting, delicious flavors of classic chicken pot pie in soup form and is paired with homemade buttery seasoned pie crust crackers!
Table of Contents
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
I love a good chicken pot pie (not going to lie, I really love the premade one from Costco!) and thus there are a lot of recipes on my website like my chicken pot pie casserole and easy Bisquick Chicken Pot Pie that take the basic flavors and combine them in a different way. This soup is no different.
You have all the familiar ingredients in the filling as your soup, and then you take the pie pastry and make poultry seasoning flavored pie crust crackers to dip into the soup or crumble into it.
Make Pie Pastry Crackers for Dipping
The crackers for this soup are not only easy to make, they were a lot of fun thanks to the premade pie crust.
- Unroll the pie crust pastry.
- Brush the pastry generously with the melted salted butter
- Sprinkle with the poultry seasoning and sea salt
- Cut into shapes and then bake in the oven until lightly browned and crispy
Stovetop is Best
This soup is better made on the stovetop as there aren’t many ingredients that have to cook for a long time, so a slow cooker isn’t the best option. If you cook the chicken too long it gets gummy, the frozen vegetables will fall apart and the cream will curdle.
Stove top or a Dutch oven in your oven is the best bet for cooking this.
How to Store
Because this is a cream soup, it’s not the best to store but you can read my tips and tricks on how to freeze cream soups if you want to try it.
This is best stored in a closed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, reheated on the stove ( the microwave might curdle the cream, but you can try reheating it).
This isn’t a large batch recipe, so you will only have a couple of servings for the next day left over!
The crackers make this a full, hearty meal so you don’t need to make anything else to go with it.
Enjoy and happy cooking!
PIN THIS RECIPE to your SOUP RECIPES Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Prep Time
- 30 minutes
- Cook Time
- 25 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
Pie Crust Crackers
- 2 disks refrigerated pie dough
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup white onion diced
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 1 cup sliced white mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups Russet potatoes diced small
- 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables green beans, carrots, peas and corn
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups cooked chicken diced
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F.
- Unroll the pie dough onto a baking sheet. Brush the dough with the melted butter.
- Sprinkle lightly with the poultry seasoning, then salt and pepper.
- Cut the crust into triangles or shapes as desired, Bake until puffed and golden, about 10 minutes. Remove and cool on the sheet.
- Melt the butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, onion and celery. Cook until they are soft.
- Add in the garlic and sauté until browned and fragrant, around 2 minutes. Sprinkle the poultry seasoning and the flour over top of the vegetables, and stir, letting the flour lightly brown and cook.
- Slowly stir in the broth, stirring to combine.
- Add in the potatoes. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, partially covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add in the frozen vegetable mix and heavy cream, and continue to simmer until all of the vegetables are tender.
- Add the chicken to the pot and simmer until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Divide among bowls and top with the crust.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.