I found a bag of Meyer lemons recently…and it was like striking gold in the middle of winter. Like finding a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day. How they were in stock, I don’t know. I can’t even remember where I found them, but I do remember that I might have gasped and reached for that bag as quickly as humanly possible.
I’ve hoarded them. My son eats them plain, enjoying the sour tang of them. A zesty taste that’s right between a lemon and an orange, these little jewels are amazing to bake with.
I knew immediately that I was going to try them with gingerbread cookies. The chance to play around with Meyer Lemons comes so rarely that I wanted to try it out on a combo that is one of my favorites. Citrus and gingerbread are a match made in heaven.
While you may not have Meyer Lemons – as they show up on rare occasions and then disappear again for months – you can use orange or lemon for these cookies. The sugar will coat the zest and add the needed sweetness to the outside of the cookies.
Happy Christmas baking everyone!
Don’t forget to PIN THIS RECIPE to your DESSERT RECIPES board and remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup fancy molasses
- 2 tbsp citrus juice orange lemon or Meyer Lemon
- 1 tbsp citrus zest
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2-3 tbsp citrus zest
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 Â°F.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg followed by the molasses and citrus juice & zest.
- Mix in dry ingredients until they are thoroughly incoporated.
- Combine the white sugar and zest and place in a bowl.
- Roll the dough into one inch balls and swirl around the in white sugar/zest mixture unti coated.
- Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet 2 inches apart and bake for 10-12 minutes, until the edges are crispy and set.
- Remove from the oven and cool on the sheets.