Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats
Zucchini season is upon us folks, and it's time to start getting all innovative with our favourite summer squash. While my favourite way – bar none- is to bake up an amazing zucchini cake I can also handle eating zucchini as a vegetable, and what a great vegetable zucchini is really, when you think about it. How many vegetables can you eat in cake form AND in their healthy normal form?
Who is up for some Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats?
I took my Basic Crockpot Buffalo Chicken recipe and tweaked it a bit in order to stuff it into zucchini boats and bake them up. I added in some ranch or blue cheese dressing into the chicken filling to make sure that they don't dry out ( and to tame the heat level a bit) and a little bit of celery adds some crunch to the mix.
Then you simply load up some hollowed out zucchini, top with Tex Mex Cheese and voila!
Dinner is served!
This happens to be gluten-free and suitable for low carb/good carb diets. Just make sure that your ingredients are gluten-free ( the salad dressings) and you are good to go!
So get thee out to thy garden and stop cursing the abundance of zucchini out there. Use it! Send me some as well, because for the first year ever, I have a LACK of zucchini in my garden! I know, right? Who has a lack of zucchini? My plants just didn't work out that well, which is a total bummer. Usually around this time of year I am looking at zucchini in the store and thinking ” HA! Why pay for something that's growing like a WEED in my garden!??”
Granted, there might be zucchini out there…..I just can't find them in all the weeds…
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Cup Frank’s RedHot Original
- 1 cup of strong chicken broth
- 3-4 tbsp Ranch Or Blue Cheese Salad Dressing
- 1/4 cup finely diced celery optional
- 2-3 inches medium Zucchini around 8-10 long sliced in half lengthwise and hollowed out with a spoon
- 2 cups Tex Mex Shredded Cheese
- Place chicken breasts in a slow cooker and pour in chicken broth and hot sauce.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for up to 8 hours.
- Remove chicken and sauce into a large bowl ( you need the sauce or it will be too dry) and shred the chicken.
- Add the ranch or blue cheese dressing to the shredded chicken to taste.(this will also prevent it from drying out) and mix in the celery.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Fill the zucchini boats with shredded chicken, dividing the filling between the pieces evenly.
- Top with shredded Tex Mex Cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until the zucchini is soft and cooked and the cheese has melted.
- Remove and serve.