These air fryer hamburgers are perfect for when you can’t get out to the barbecue! ! My ground beef, seasonings, bacon and cheese burger patties really are the best, I’ve perfected this recipe over the years.
Air fried burgers are so much better than pan-fried and sure hit the spot when I wasn’t able to BBQ in -40 °C weather!
Table of Contents
Air Fryer Hamburgers
We all know that nothing beats the taste of a classic homemade burger fresh off the BBQ, but there’s some weather that even we tough Canadians can’t BBQ in. Sure, we pull the BBQ close up to the deck door when it’s cold out and keep on going, but this past -40 Arctic cold front we just had was too much.
So it was time to try burgers in the air fryer.
Air Fryer Hamburger Ingredients
(for full instructions and measurements, see the printable recipe card below, this is just a quick summary.)
You will need:
- Ground Beef
- Shredded Cheese
- Uncooked Bacon
- Onion Powder
Step by Step Directions
Combine the ingredients together in a bowl by hand. The trick here is to loosely handle the beef without overworking it. If you overdo it, the beef becomes more mushy and it doesn’t cook up as nice or fall apart in your mouth. Texture wise, try to do this with as little pressure as you can on the meat.
Once the ingredients are mixed together, split the beef up into equal portions. I find that it’s really easy to use a small Tupperware container (or something patty sized) and place one portion of the burger mixture inside.
I then use a potato masher to press the meat into patty form (remember to do this lightly.. don’t smash it into a patty).
Then simply flip it over and give it a tap and the formed patty should fall out. Notice how nice and shaped they are? This trick works beautifully and I’ve been doing it this way non-stop since I first tried it out.
Now place the burger patties into the air fryer basket, evenly spaced.
Now cook them in the air fryer using the directions set forth in the recipe card below and when done, open the air fryer, check to ensure they are at the correct temperature. I like to use an instant read thermometer to determine if they are cooked properly.
Here’s how they look when fully cooked:
Now it’s time to serve them up!
Frozen Burgers in the Air Fryer
While you can certainly do frozen burgers in the air fryer, I can guarantee you that they won’t taste as good as these homemade ones. However, some people don’t have time to hand make burgers so in that case, if you really need to use frozen, here’s how you do it.
To cook frozen, you’ll need to place the patties in and cook for about 10 minutes per side at around 380 degrees Fahrenheit. Keeping in mind that this temperature can vary depending on a number of factors such as the type of air fryer, the size of the burgers, etc but it’s a reasonable starting point. Cook for 10 minutes, check the temperature and flip. Stop cooking when they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit, which is considered safe for ground beef.
I hope you like these burgers, I make them regularly now in the air fryer given how easy it is to clean and since I can’t quite get to my barbecue yet (snow on the deck impedes me!).
For more Air Fryer recipes, try these:
PIN THIS RECIPE to your Air Fryer Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Air Fryer Hamburgers
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup cheese shredded
- 3 slices bacon uncooked and chopped finely
- 1 egg
- Chop 3 slices of bacon into small size and place in a medium sized bowl.
- Add 1 cup of shredded cheese, 1 egg, 1 tsp of onion powder and 1 pound of thawed ground beef to the bowl.
- Gently work the mixture together with your hands. The key here is to do so loosely without turning the beef into mush.
- Form two evenly sized logs with the beef mixture and then cut each in half. Take these halves and roll into loose balls (these will be your patties).
- In a small tupperware container or something similarly sized, put one ball of ground beef. Using a potato masher, form the beef to the patty sized container (again, do so loosely).
- Flip the container and push out the patty onto a baking sheet. Repeat the process until you have four 1/4 pound patties formed.
- Place each patty in the air fryer basket, with space between each.
- Start the air fryer at 370 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 12 minutes. When complete, flip the patties and cook for another 12 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove, add to bun, add toppings and enjoy!
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.