This casserole has been on my mind for a while now and I finally got around to making it while camping last week.
Yes, I obviously glamp, not camp. Forget the tent, Mama stays in a trailer with the full hookups.
I took a zucchini, carrots and onion from my garden, threw it into a bag and took it to the lake with me.
Now this, my friends, is a seriously decadent casserole. I ain’t gonna lie; you need a salad with this bad boy. You simply cannot eat a plate of this like you eat spaghetti. However, that just makes me love it more because you end up with leftovers for lunch!
PIN THIS RECIPE to your DINNER RECIPES Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Can you see the purple in the picture above? Those dang purple carrots of mine color EVERYTHING purple! Oh my word, they are crazy! They stay purple when cooked, they dye everything they are cooked with, I guess that means they are super healthy!
So remember, this is not something you are going to eat plates of, it’s rich and decadent. Make a salad to go with it!
Happy cooking everyone!
Love you more than chocolate!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
Vegetable and Cheese Tortellini Casserole
- Prep Time
- 20 minutes
- Cook Time
- 20 minutes
- Total Time
- 40 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth strong
- 2 tablespoons butter for frying
- 1 cup white onion diced
- 1 cup carrots thinly sliced
- 2 cups summer squash
- 1 block cream cheese chopped into squares
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 3 cups of shredded 4 cheese blend
- 3 cups of cooked tortellini
- Combine the butter and garlic in a medium saucepan; fry until golden, then add in the flour.
- Add the milk slowly to the flour/butter mixture, whisking it slowly, until you have a creamy sauce.
- Add in the vegetable broth and mix completely; set aside.
- Combine the butter, onions and carrots into a large skillet. Fry for 5 minutes; add zucchini. Cook until they are tender crisp.Add in the cream cheese and seasoning, heat until melted.
- Combine all ingredients and place into a greased 9x9 deep dish or a shallow 9x13 pan.
- Sprinkle with the shredded cheese.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, until the cheese on top is melted and golden.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.