This casserole has been on my mind for a while now and I finally got around to making it while camping last week.
Yes, I obviously glamp, not camp. Forget the tent, Mama stays in a trailer with the full hookups.
I took a zucchini, carrots and onion from my garden, threw it into a bag and took it to the lake with me.
Now this, my friends, is a seriously decadent casserole. I ain’t gonna lie; you need a salad with this bad boy. You simply cannot eat a plate of this like you eat spaghetti. However, that just makes me love it more because you end up with leftovers for lunch!
Can you see the purple in the picture above? Those dang purple carrots of mine color EVERYTHING purple! Oh my word, they are crazy! They stay purple when cooked, they dye everything they are cooked with, I guess that means they are super healthy!
So remember, this is not something you are going to eat plates of, it’s rich and decadent. Make a salad to go with it!
Happy cooking everyone!
Love you more than chocolate!
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 up strong vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp butter for frying
- 1 cup white onion diced
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 2 cups summer squash
- 1 block cream cheese chopped into squares
- 1/2 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 3 cups of shredded 4 cheese blend
- 3 cups of cooked tortellini
- Combine the butter and garlic in a medium saucepan; fry until golden, then add in the flour.
- Add the milk slowly to the flour/butter mixture, whisking it slowly, until you have a creamy sauce.
- Add in the vegetable broth and mix completely; set aside.
- Combine the butter, onions and carrots into a large skillet. Fry for 5 minutes; add zucchini. Cook until they are tender crisp.Add in the cream cheese and seasoning, heat until melted.
- Combine all ingredients and place into a greased 9×9 deep dish or a shallow 9×13 pan.
- Sprinkle with the shredded cheese.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, until the cheese on top is melted and golden.
- Serving Size: 8