These Ukrainian Style Cream Dill Potatoes are a family classic, a tried and true Ukrainian dish that was served at many a supper at my grandma’s. This is probably one of my favourite dishes from my childhood!
Ukrainian Style Cream Dill Potatoes are easy, simple & delicious.
Yes, there are tons of people that also make cream dill potatoes, but for some reason I always call them Ukrainian potatoes. It’s just my thing. We are Ukrainian so I called these Ukrainian potatoes. These are one of the dishes from my childhood that I remember the most fondly, as my Grandma Marion would make these non-stop through the potato growing season. She would carefully dig up new potatoes, leaving some to grow to larger potatoes of course and then make these for dinner.
Ukrainian Style Creamy Dill Potatoes Recipe Tips & Tricks
- This dish is the best with potatoes that are brand new from your garden. The little potatoes that you can buy in the stores will also work and yes, if you really have to you can use full size potatoes.
- The type of potato doesn’t really matter, as we use baby red and baby russet potatoes whenever they are ready in the spring. Red potatoes will be more toothy and russet or gold will fall apart. Both are equally delicious!
- Fresh dill is the best and it will be ready the same time your new potatoes are if you plant early in the spring.
Cream dill potatoes are pretty much the first thing that I make every year when the garden starts producing those little carb bundles of joy, new potatoes! Oh there is nothing like new potatoes in the summer! And making the into cream dill potatoes? Even better!
Who’s looking forward to new potatoes in their gardens? I can’t wait!
PIN THIS RECIPE to your SIDE DISHES Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!
Ukrainian Style Creamed Dill Potatoes
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 25 minutes
- Total Time
- 35 minutes
- Side Dish
- Karlynn Johnston
- 6-8 cups of new potatoes washed, sliced and cleaned
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/3- 1/2 cup of whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chopped chives
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh dill
Put the potatoes in a pot, fill with water to cover and boil them until they are just soft. This part is important. You will have to cook these further in the cream, so make sure you cook them just to softness, no further.
Drain the perfectly cooked potatoes and put them back into the pot.
Add the butter and place the pot back on the burner.
Add in the cream and cook the potatoes, simmering the cream until it reduces down.
Toss in the chives and the dill, then serve!
This is the best with new potatoes straight from the garden!
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.