I’m not going to lie; when I told my Mom that I was putting an entire can of icing in this dessert because I kept reading reviews about how most slow cooker chocolate lava cakes recipes were plain and without flavour….she looked at me like I was crazy. Are you now thinking that I am crazy as well? Bear with me and let me ‘splain. It sounds way worse than it actually is, you guys.
This is honestly the BEST Slow Cooker Chocolate Lava Cake you will ever make!
First, this recipe serves a good 10 people, maybe even 12-14 people if they are polite. Ten people that were jonesing for dessert after the huge turkey dinner that I also made them. When you take a look at that little can of icing, basically that’s putting icing on a regular cake ( which is what is in this recipe. A cake mix for a 2 layer cake.) It’s not that much even though it sounds crazy.
Oh fine, no matter what I say, I am going to sound like I am nutso and trying to justify putting an entire can of chocolate fudge icing in a dessert and at this point all that really matters is DO YOU TRUST ME?
Trust me because I nailed this recipe. I can’t even pretend to be modest about how good this is. This is a 5 star slow cooker dessert and it’s thanks to that can of icing AND a larger package of pudding mix. Lordy I hate dry cake and I didn’t see how a 4 serving package of chocolate pudding by itself was going to actually make a slow cooker lava cake – a full on, ooey-gooey, decadent chocolate dream slow cooker lava cake. If we are going to use packaged ingredients for a cheater dessert let’s not take shortcuts, okay? This is a completely all packaged ingredients slow cooker chocolate lava cake and it saved my sanity when I was cooking this past week for a lot of people.
You have to top it with vanilla ice cream after you scoop it out of the slow cooker all nice and hot. It’s a masterpiece.
I will WARN YOU that you do have to watch the sides of the cake in the slow cooker as they can over bake. I cooked this on high for 3 hours – also the opposite of what a lot of recipes call for, they say low for three hours but hellloooo lake of undercooked cake?? – and when you cook on high you run the risk of the edges burning later on in the cooking process. You can try this on slow – I will next time- but I would estimate it will take a good 4-5 hours.
So here you are, the best slow cooker lava cake around, no word of a lie. Give it a whirl next time you are busy and overwhelmed and need an awesome cheater recipe to feed a lot of people a lot of good dessert!
Pin This Recipe Photo To Your Desserts Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!
The BEST Slow Cooker Chocolate Lava Cake!
Cake Mix Prep
- 1 box Devil's Food Cake 2 layer cake mix
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 box 6 serving, 170 Gram instant chocolate pudding
- 3 cups milk
- 1 can chocolate fudge icing
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Spray the inside of your slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Combine the ingredients of the cake mix layer in a large bowl. Using a handheld or stand mixer, beat the ingredients until smooth and mixed in completely, around 2 minutes. Pour into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, combine the pudding mix and 3 cups of milk. Mix according to the package directions. Pour on top of the cake batter.
- Remove the icing lid and microwave for 10-15 seconds until it is pour-able. Pour evenly on top of the pudding.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the mixture in the crockpot.
- Place the lid on top and cook on high for 3- 31/2 hours or until the cake has cooked in the middle completely. You can also cook this low and slow for 4-5 hours. The cake is done when you can insert a knife in the middle of the CAKE only and it comes out clean. Don't pierce through to the pudding!
- Remove and serve hot with vanilla ice cream on top.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.