There actually IS a secret to making the best homemade strawberry lemonade – a bartender’s secret! Fresh, seasonal strawberries are a must and of course nothing beats freshly squeezed lemon juice, but the real secret is NOT pouring white sugar straight into the lemonade, it’s making a homemade simple syrup!
It’s really such a simple trick but as everyone knows, white sugar is notorious for not dissolving properly and giving you gritty drinks. This recipe really does ensure the perfect strawberry lemonade for summertime sippin’!
Homemade Strawberry Lemonade
When it comes to making anything homemade, the key is to use the freshest possible ingredients; in this case that means squeezing the lemon juice as opposed to using the stuff that comes in a bottle.
By doing this, you are getting a much nicer flavor. You’ll also need a decent blender to prepare the strawberries / water and simple syrup so pull that out and have it standing by.
This recipe will use a 9-10 cup pitcher as well so you’ll get quite a bit but don’t feel that you can’t scale it down a bit if you wish.
Tips and Tricks
- This lemonade is MADE to be served over ice! This is a strong flavored batch, making it perfect to serve over ice that will cool it and slightly dilute it to perfection. There’s nothing worse than a weak flavored lemonade. You can sip it as is, but it is best served over ice – which makes it frosty and perfect.
- Do NOT use white sugar directly in your drink; make a simple syrup instead – this way you don’t end up with the granular taste of sugar in your drinks. Simple syrup is very easy to make and can be done in the microwave if you are in a rush. You’ll see lots of recipes out there suggesting that you just add sugar to the blended strawberries but trust me – it’s much better with simple syrup.
- Get a large pitcher, you are going to need it – this recipe fills a 9-10 cup pitcher.
Pin This to Your Drinks Board and Remember to Follow Me On Pinterest!
The BEST Homemade Strawberry Lemonade
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 2 minutes
- Total Time
- 17 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup ice
Strawberry Lemonade Ingredients
- 4 cups fresh strawberries tops removed and hulled
- 1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup simple syrup or more to taste
- sliced strawberries lemons and mint sprigs for garnish
Simple Syrup Instructions
- Combine the white sugar with the 1 cup of water in a large glass, microwave safe measuring cup. Microwave the mixture for 2 minutes, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Alternatively you can make this on the stove top as well, heating until the sugar has dissolved completely.
- Place the ice cubes into the simple syrup and stir to dissolve, this cools it down so that you can use it immediately. Refrigerate until using - or place in the freezer for a faster cool down.
Strawberry Lemonade Mixture
- Place the strawberries in a blender with 2 cups of the water. Blend until extremely smooth using the highest setting on your blender.
- Squeeze lemons to get lemon juice - you need approximately 8-10 lemons (this may vary depending on the size of the lemons, etc)
- Combine the strawberry puree, cooled simple syrup, lemon juice and remaining 3 cups of water in a pitcher. If it is too chunky for your liking you can strain it, we don't mind the seeds but you can strain them out through cheesecloth if desired.
- Stir completely, then chill until ready to serve. If you have cooled the simple syrup enough, this can go straight to being served.
- To serve, add ice to glasses then pour.
- Garnish with lemon slices, sliced strawberries or mint,
- This makes 9 cups (72 ounces) of lemonade, which is enough for about 8 servings over ice.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.