Everyone has a version of crispy oven fried chicken, and this one would be mine. What you have to create to your liking is really the spices that go into the flour coating, I found I can’t stand ingredients like thyme or rosemary for my crispy chicken, but prefer garlic, seasoning salt, pepper and paprika. It takes a lot of testing and trials, but eventually you find what you like. The rest of the recipe is almost the same as most out there, the preparation doesn’t really change.
Time warning: the chicken has to sit for 30 minutes before even baking in the oven
After you try this recipe, you will never need to deep fry chicken again. I kid you not. You will be making the best oven fried chicken and not only that, one that doesn’t ha
ve a weird batter all over it. This is just pure, oven fried chicken without all the hoopla. Flour, spices and a secret trick!
Oh man, would you LOOK at this oven fried chicken! Its crispy, the flour batter stays on, the flavor is to die for and it’s so easy.
My family flips for it every single time, and my daughter is no exception, she loves the drumsticks the best, of course. You can see in this picture how the batter stays on until you bite it. I almost never post pictures of the family in my recipes, but she was having so much fun tonight eating it I had to show this picture.
PIN THIS RECIPE to your CHICKEN RECIPES Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
The Kitchen Magpie’s Crispy Oven Fried Chicken
- Prep Time
- 45 minutes
- Cook Time
- 45 minutes
- Total Time
- 1 hour 30 minutes
- 8 pieces
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 1/3 cups of flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 or 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup of margarine or butter
- one chicken cut into 8 pieces (2 drumsticks, 2 thighs and the breasts cut into 4)
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together.
- Grease a baking sheet really well and set aside.
- Beat the eggs and place in a small bowl. Line up your bowls and your baking sheet in this order from right to left; egg, flour, then baking sheet. This will make sense once you start dipping, for a messy cook like me, I have to try and keep things clean once in a blue moon.
- First, dip your chicken into the flour mixture and cover it completely.
- Then go to the egg mixture, and cover it again completely, this time with egg.
- Back to the flour mixture to cover it completely again, trying not to disturb the two other layers you just did.
- Place the chicken on the baking sheet, and repeat with all the pieces of chicken until they are all done. Now it is time to put them into the fridge and let them sit for 30 minutes. DO NOT skip this part, it helps the layers adhere to not only the chicken, but themselves. And make sure you let the chicken sit in the fridge, in the cold.
- After the 30 minutes, melt the margarine and pour over the chicken pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Bake the chicken for 40-45 minutes until the breast meat reaches 165 °F and the thigh meat is 180 °F.
- Remove and serve!
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.