There’s something beautiful about a Tequila Sunrise cocktail. It’s one of those pretty cocktails that balances the fruitiness of orange juice with the cool color separation that happens when you add grenadine to the glass. For those who are unaware, the grenadine settles to the bottom causing the sunrise effect of red to orange from the bottom up.
This is also a great cocktail to make use of that Tequila bottle without having to eat salt and suck a lemon. I will warn you though these bad boys go down easy so be careful! Don’t say i didn’t warn you when your three tequila turns to “floor”. And if you love tequila, the Paloma cocktail is another great one to try.
Ingredients in a Tequila Sunrise
A tequila sunrise sounds so fancy but it’s so easy to make and is only three ingredients:
- orange juice
How to Make a Tequila Sunrise
The real trick to making a tequila sunrise is patience. The reason this is such a pretty cocktail is the grenadine that sinks to the bottom of the cocktail, thus giving it a sunrise appearance.
- Stir or shake together the tequila and orange juice.
- Fill a chilled 12 ounce glass with ice cubes.
- Pour in the orange juice mixture.
- Slowly pour in the grenadine and allow it to settle to the bottom of the glass.
- Garnish with a slice of lime, and 2 maraschino cherries
What Type of Tequila is Used in a Tequila Sunrise?
I prefer to use an amazing Sauza Gold tequila in my tequila sunrises. The type of tequila that you use is going to reflect the quality of the drink, you can definitely tell when you use a cheap tequila.
On a serious note, this drink will take you back to the beach on that vacation you loved so much when the kids weren’t screaming and all you could hear was the waves hitting the shore.
Now get out that Tequila bottle and let’s do this!
PIN THIS RECIPE to your COCKTAIL RECIPES Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Total Time
- 5 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1.5 oz Tequila Sauza Gold or your preference
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1.5 oz grenadine
- Stir or shake together tequila and orange juice.Fill a chilled 12 ounce glass with ice cubes
- Pour in orange juice mixture.
- Slowly pour in the grenadine and allow it to settle to the bottom of the glass (be patient). Garnish with a slice of lime, and 2 maraschino cherries
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.