Pasta shells stuffed with taco seasoned turkey and smothered in cheese sauce has been on my comfort food to-make list forever! I finally made it a week or so ago when my brother and his girlfriend came over for dinner one night. It was the kind of dish that I wanted to make for company to taste test, but not new company, you know what I mean?
Family is good for taste testing and honest food reviews, that’s for sure! I knew that they would tell me if it was a keeper or a chucker.
It was hands down a winner, a keeper and a make again hit. This is such a rich, delicious, comfort food dish. If you like taco flavor, then this is the supper for you!
It’s very simple.
You fry up ground turkey according to the directions on the taco seasoning package. Then you stuff it into cooked pasta shells.
Then you drizzle a decadent taco cheese sauce over those gorgeous little shells.
Then, because you can never have enough cheese, you top it with some shredded Tex Mex cheese.
Then it’s time to bake it in the oven until it looks this the creamy, dreamy pasta below.
Plate two or three of them (eh, four or five of them?) and serve with a nice crisp salad.
And then add this to your rotation of meals, for sure.
Now I know that quite a few of you were waiting for this recipe, so here it is at last! I do have SO many recipes that I’ve made that I have to write up, if only they could just write themselves somedays haha!
Happy Cooking everyone! Let me know if you try this!
One box of large Pasta Shells
- 1 lb ground turkey or chicken
- 2 packages of taco seasoning
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups of 1% milk
- 4 1/2 cups grated Tex Mex cheddar cheese 1/2 cup for filling shells and one cup set aside for topping
- Boil 24-28 pasta shells until cooked according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cool water. (the pasta shells fall apart easily, I always cook extra to make sure I have whole shells to use)
- In a large frying pan, cook the turkey and one and a half packages of taco seasoning according to the package directions. Set aside when cooked.
- To prepare the cheese sauce : In a large sauce pan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add in the flour and salt. Stir constantly over medium heat until it forms a soft ball.
- Stir in the milk slowly, but by bit, whisking constantly, Once the flour and milk has combined into a liquid without lumps, whisk in any remaining milk.
- Whisk constantly until the sauce thickens.
- Remove the sauce from heat, and stir in three cups of shredded cheese, stirring until melted.
- Add in one to two tablespoons of the taco seasoning into the cheese sauce, to taste and then set aside.
- Fill 24-28 pasta shells with a sprinkle of cheese, followed by the turkey taco mixture.
- Place shells in a well greased baking pan.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the top of the shells.
- Top with a cup of cheese.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and browned.
- Remove and serve!
- Serving Size: 5-6
Nutritional information is only an estimate. Actual nutritional numbers will vary due to cooking methods, your ingredient measurements and brands of products used.