I wanted a really fast soup this past week, something that was super healthy and fast. I looked at the contents of the fridge and had a bag of spinach that had to be used up. I also wanted to try a stew. Thus, Spinach, Tomato & Chickpea Stew.
Table of Contents
Easy Chickpea Stew
I absolutely love a fast, healthy soup for lunch – I don’t mind fussing around with a more complex soup for supper when I have time but when it comes to lunch, it has to be very fast and easy. I’m now busy homeschooling the kids during the day and wow, has my kitchen time gone down! I know that we only have the first month under our belt and that it’s going to get better and better, but for now, my kitchen time is spent running back and forth between helping them at the kitchen table and the stove.
I wanted thick, chunky spoonfuls of beans and veggies more than I wanted a thin broth.This is it, folks.
Three out of four family members ate this (while of course, my daughter ate plain chickpeas that I set aside for her. Sigh.) and it was met with rave reviews. Even Mike who doesn’t like greens in his soup admitted that this was a pretty darn good lunch.
So fast doesn’t have to mean unhealthy or junky, fast can mean a very quick 20 minutes in the kitchen. If you like your chickpeas to be softer than they are out of the can, cook it longer. If not, this stew is ready ASAP!
Spinach, Tomato and Chickpea Stew
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Cook Time
- 20 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- one 796 ml can stewed tomatoes
- one 540 ml can chickpeas
- 1-2 teaspoons vegetable bouillion
- 6 cups baby spinach
- Fry the onions in the olive oil in the bottom of a large soup pot until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add in the garlic;, fry until browned.
- Add in the tomatoes, chickpeas and vegetable seasoning. (use seasoning to taste)
- Heat the stew until the chickpeas are warmed all the way through. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- When the chickpeas are done to your liking, stir in the spinach and cook until it’s wilted.
- Remove from the stove and serve.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.