Did you just get as excited as I did by the thought of chocolate and raspberries for breakfast? Spiced Chocolate Raspberry Refrigerator Oatmeal. Let's say that a few times and let the thought of chocolate for breakfast roll around our brains for a while.
My third and final recipe celebrating the release of McCormick's 2016 Flavour Forecast is all about Blends with Benefits. This trend combines flavourful herbs and spices, like turmeric, with good-for-you ingredients, like chia.Turmeric has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties – and we all know that cinnamon is good for us as well- so I wanted to have a dish that was breakfast. I wanted something that would start our day off with a boost of healthy food, yet taste like you are having a treat at the same time.
It ultimately popped into my head that refrigerator oatmeal was the perfect vehicle to try out this spice blend.
This breakfast is full of everything good for you. Oatmeal, chia seeds, Greek yogurt, raspberries, healthy spices….it’s the perfect start to your day. It’s packed full of protein and good carbs and you will be full until lunchtime!
Refrigerator oatmeal is my saviour for busy school mornings as well. I made this quickly one Tuesday night, threw the jars in the fridge and voila! We all had a fabulous breakfast the next morning that was stress-free.
If you’d like to try another recipe celebrating Blends with Benefits, the Orange, Papaya and Coconut Smoothie would be delicious!
I’d like to thank McCormick for the opportunity to celebrate their 2016 Flavour Forecast this year, what a fun time this was, coming up with recipes inspired by the forecast! Make sure to check out their website yourself and see all the amazing recipes on there!
Happy cooking everyone!
PIN THIS RECIPE to your BREAKFAST RECIPES Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
Spicy Chocolate Raspberry Refrigerator Oatmeal
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Total Time
- 5 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 2 teaspoons Turmeric
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/3 cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup milk your choice I use almond
- 1/4 cup Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon homemade Turmeric Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon extra cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon dry chia seed
- 1-2 tablespoon Honey
- 1/2-1 cup raspberries
- For Turmeric, Cocoa, Cinnamon and Nutmeg blend, mix all ingredients until well blended and store in a jar in a cool, dry place.
- For Oatmeal, place all ingredients excepting the raspberries into a 500 ml canning jar. Screw the lid on tightly, then shake the ingredients until mixed together completely.
- Place the jar in the refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, remove the lid and place freshly washed raspberries on top.
- Eat with a spoon right from the jar!
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.