This Slow Cooker Italian Pot Roast & Peppers is not that attractive, but it’s delicious! It’s true, you guys. I had a moment of “Wow. I am NEVER going to make this pot roast and squishy peppers look good. EVER.” And then I shrugged and figured that I can’t win them all when it comes to good looking recipes.
Slow Cooker Pot Roasts are the Best
This may not be the best looking recipe but my son announced that this was the best pot roast that I have ever made – and that’s saying something because I am pretty sure I am up to about 7 pot roast recipes on this website. If you love peppers and Italian spices, then this is the pot roast for you. The reason that I threw in a bunch of mini sweet peppers is that they were about to go bad in the refrigerator. Yes, fine, that is absolutely how most of my recipes come about – something is about to go bad and I have to quickly concoct a new recipe to use it up. I’m not sure what kind of cook it makes me, but I do know that at least it makes me a busy mom- aka human!
So in the peppers went along with a package of gravy, some Italian seasoning and some water. I figured what the heck, we could use the roast and peppers in sandwiches. Well, the peppers are not the most edible things after all day in the slow cooker but what that means is that you can make one heck of a gravy out of those juices! Remember, this is for pepper lovers only!
You will have to strain the gravy for seeds if the little peppers come apart- yes I threw them in whole. I was not in a caring mood hahaha! They were going in for flavouring and it worked like a charm! Strain the juices, boil it, thicken it on the stove and you have a Italian pot roast that is busting with amazing flavour! It also WAS great in sandwiches the next day, but we ate it with the carrots and potatoes that I had added to the slow cooker as well for dinner later than night. The gravy was perfect on perogies!
So, who else has some peppers that they need to use up? Throw them in with a chuck or blade roast and you have the perfect Italian pot roast!
Pin This Recipe to Your Supper Ideas & Slow Cooker Boards and remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
- 1 blade roast 3-4 lb
- 2-3 sweet peppers
- 3 cups potatoes diced
- 3 cups carrots diced
- 1 white onion cut into large chunks
- 1 oz gravy mix
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 cup water
- Place the roast in the bottom of your slow cooker. Surround it with all of the vegetables.
- Sprinkle the gravy mix and the Italian seasoning over the roast and vegetables.
- Pour the water over top.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 5-6.
- When it's ready, take a few scoops of the liquid from in the slow cooker and strain it. Bring to a boil in a pot on the stove.
- Whisk 1 tbsp of cornstarch into 1/4 cup of water, then whisk into the boiling liquid rapidly. Keep stirring until the gravy has thickened.
- Serve the roast with the carrots and potatoes, drizzled with the gravy.