Easy. Delicious. Has bacon. Do I have you convinced to make these (Mostly) Make-Ahead Skillet Fried Potatoes? This is a really easy dish to prep before the holidays. You pre-cook the potatoes and can dice up everything to go in it. Then simply assemble and make fried potatoes in the oven when you are ready!
How to Make Skillet Fried Potatoes
These skillet fried potatoes have become a new favourite! The make ahead part is easy to do and is a lifesaver! You can boil your potatoes earlier on in the day OR the day before, and put them away in the fridge until supper rolls around. Chop up your bacon and onions and put those away as well. At this point, all you have to do is throw them into the skillet and make breakfast! That’s why I said “mostly” make ahead.
Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees F.
Chop up your bacon into large pieces and onions. Place the bacon and the white onions into the oven safe pan or cast iron skillet.
While those are cooking, chop up your green onion and potatoes. I like two kinds of onion, the white and green taste completely different.
When your bacon is cooked to soft and your onions soft, throw in the potatoes and the green onion. Sprinkle with seasoning salt.
Place in the oven and roast the potatoes for 10-15 minutes, until they heat up and start to crisp up. Cook to your desired crispness, turning the potatoes every 5 minutes or so.
You can use red or waxy yellow potatoes for this recipe, it depends on your preference. Yellow potatoes can fall apart easier than reds, but are a nice starchy potato. If you use yellow potatoes just cook them to the point before they fall apart. Pre-cooking the potatoes shaves 2/3 off the prep AND cook time off of this dish, for sure! You can do the potatoes 1-2 days ahead of time which makes it so awesome!
REMEMBER TO PIN THIS RECIPE TO YOUR BREAKFAST BOARD AND FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
(Mostly) Make-Ahead Skillet Potatoes
- Prep Time
- 25 minutes
- Cook Time
- 15 minutes
- Total Time
- 40 minutes
- Side Dish
- Karlynn Johnston
- 6-7 cups of chopped cold boiled potatoes ( red or waxy yellow)
- 5-6 slices of bacon
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 1/4 cup butter butter
- 2-3 green onions
- seasoning salt
- parsley to garnish
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Chop up your bacon and onions into large pieces. Place the bacon and the white onions into the skillet.
- While those are cooking, chop up your green onion and potatoes. I like two kinds of onion, the white and green taste completely different.
- When your bacon is cooked to soft and your onions soft, throw in the potatoes.
- Place in the oven and roast the potatoes for 10-15 minutes, until they heat up and start to crisp up. Cook to your desired crispness, turning the potatoes every 5 minutes or so. Sprinkle with seasoning salt to taste. Garnish with the green onions and heat up at the very last ( I don't like browned green onions). Sprinkle with fresh parsley right before serving if desired.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.