My new Perogy Kielbasa Skillet is probably my family’s favourite recipe of the year, I kid you not. This recipe came about after seeing a crock pot recipe that used perogies and kielbasa – but also had tons of bad reviews saying that it went to mush. I wasn’t about to waste ingredients on a recipe that even I could see would end up mushy and unappetizing, so I brainstormed a way to cook perogies and kielbasa in a skillet for a no fuss, no muss meal.
I also added two types of onions, because how can you eat perogies and kielbasa without fried onions? You just can’t!
This is cheesy, tangy and combines three of my favourite Ukrainian staples – and there is honestly no need to try to make a crock pot recipe out of it. This was a super easy, fast meal at the end of a hugely busy day in my household.
Don’t tell my mom, but I used store-bought perogies.
I *think* that homemade perogies might not fare well in this skillet but I will be trying it with my Mom’s perogies. Homemade perogies always seem delicate, but then I remember how much we toss them around in butter, bacon and onions when they are done cooking.
This perogy kielbasa skillet is creamy, tangy and absolutely delicious. The cream cheese and sour cream cook up and coat the perogies and kielbasa.. and the onions? Always a good idea. Always. Onions need to be paired with perogies, it’s just a thing.
Oh and cheese?
Yes please, all the time.
If you love perogies, this easy dinner is for you! And really, who doesn’t love perogies? You can use any flavour that you prefer, we used a cheese and onion filled perogies but I imagine a good cheddar bacon perogy would absolutely rock in this. Oooh or sauerkraut for those of us that love sauerkraut!
Happy cooking babes!
PIN this recipe to your DINNER IDEAS board and remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Learn to cook like the Kitchen Magpie
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
Perogy Kielbasa Skillet
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Cook Time
- 15 minutes
- Total Time
- 20 minutes
- Main Course
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 large white onion sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons butter
- 24 frozen perogies - your choice of flavour
- 2 cups of sliced kielbasa sausage
- 1/2 cup cream cheese VERY SOFT
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese divided
- 1/2 cup green onions diced, divided
- In a large skillet that has a lid, fry the onions in the butter until they are soft and cooked through.
- Add in the perogies in one layer - I can fit 22-24 in my skillet, depending on size. Place the kielbasa on top of the perogies.
- Whisk together the cream cheese, sour cream and chicken broth. To prevent curdling of the sour cream, whisk in 1 tbsp of all-purpose flour.
- If your cream cheese is cold, it will be lumpy - but it will still melt in during the cooking process. Mix in 1/2 cup of cheese and 1/4 cup of the green onions.
- Pour over the perogies. Place the lid on the skillet and bring to a low simmer over medium heat.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir occasionally, being gentle and not breaking the perogies, replacing the lid after each stir. Cook for around 10 minutes until the perogies have heated through and are cooked and the sauce has reduced slightly.
- Remove and top with the remaining cheese and green onions, placing the lid back on to melt the cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.