I’m sure by now you are thinking that I’ve gone ’round the bend and while yes, yes I have gone ’round the bend, the title of this recipe is correct. Savoury shortbread is a thing. Just like Old Fashioned Whipped Shortbread.
While I have largely not really noticed it before, when I saw Anna Olson at Christmas in November, she had a bacon cheddar shortbread as one of her recipes. I was immediately intrigued by the possibility of a cheesy savory shortbread.
I wanted to make a shortbread that didn’t have any meat in it to make it a truly friendly holiday party food. I know at least three of my friends who avoid bacon and while you may consider this a personality fault, I love them anyway. This is a perfectly lovely savory, buttery, cheesy cookie/cracker. It borders on a cracker but it just that bit too dense to be truly called a cracker. I would top it with anything that you top your crackers with, a cream cheese, any cracker spread or even a nice cheese that has some bite to it.
So, who’s in for savory shortbread? The bacon cheese one is completely addictive if you aren’t looking for a vegetarian version and honestly, this recipe lends itself to so many reincarnations. Try mixing and matching flavors to see what you love the most.
PIN THIS RECIPE to your SNACK RECIPES Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!
Peppery Parmesan Shortbread
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 15 minutes
- Total Time
- 30 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup cold salted butter cut into pieces
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Using a food processor, mix the the flour, sugar, salt and black pepper for a few seconds to mix. Add the butter and pulse until blended, then add the Cheddar cheese and Parmesan, and pulse until the dough comes together. Shape the dough into one log, wrap in plastic and chill until firm, at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Slice the dough disks about ¼-inch thick and place on baking sheets, 1/2 inch apart. Bake for 15-18 minutes until the shortbread are lightly browned on the bottom. Cool the cookies on the tray before removing.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.