Rich, fudgy M&M brownies, layered with chocolate mousse, more M&M’s and real whipped cream.
As promised, here is the recipe that I whipped up for my stint at the Edmonton Home & Garden show – one of them, the second will come later this week- and what a recipe it is. I love a good trifle, mainly because they are incredibly forgiving when it comes to assembling them, they are better when made a day or two before an event/supper and they are beauteous to behold.
Two things that I simply cannot budge on when it comes to trifles however is that I hate chocolate pudding in them and it must be real whipped cream. Not that you can’t use them, I just suggest that you don’t. I really don’t like the boxed chocolate pudding, the flavor and texture is just all wrong to me. Using Cool Whip – which does serve a purpose now and then- when you are baking up a decadent brownie and making a real chocolate mousse seems….well, sacrilegious to some extent.
This trifle deserves all homemade ingredients from start to finish. Trust me, it’s worth it in the end!
A few notes about this recipe:
– The M&M’s in the whipped cream will leach out color, which I personally love. The whipped cream becomes all colored and dreamy. IF however, your Type A personality just can’t handle it, then perhaps you might have to serve this ASAP.
– You can use any candies you like. For Easter, I would use the pastel Easter M&M’s between the layers for a gorgeous Easter palette.
– You can save candies for the top layer of whipped cream, I chose to leave mine plain.
Happy baking everyone!
Once More Home & Garden Show Today Then It’s Spring Break For The Whole Family! Magpie
- Brownie Layer: 1 1/2 cups of white sugar 3/4 cup of flour 3/4 cup of cocoa3 eggs 3/4 cup of butter1 M package &M baking piecesChocolate Mousse Layer 1/3 cup whipping cream8 oz chocolate of choice2 egg yolks1 1/2 cups of whipping cream â€“ to fold in laterWhipped Cream Layer 2 1/2 cups of whipping cream1/2 tsp vanilla1 Tbsp white sugar
- For The Brownie Layer:Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat on the stove. Removeand stir in the white sugar until dissolved.Mix in the cocoa until thoroughly combined.Add in your eggs and mix it very well.Stir in the flour gently until it it just combined, do not over mix.Add half the bag of M&M's and mix in.Pour into a 9x13 greased baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes untilthe brownie batter is cooked.Cool and slice into one inch squares.For The Chocolate Mousse Layer:Melt your chocolate and whipping cream together in a thick pot on thestove over medium-low heat.Beat the egg yolks until creamy yellow.Add some of the warm chocolate mixture to the egg yolks to temperthem, mixing quickly and thoroughly.Add the tempered egg yolks into the chocolate mixture and whisk theingredients together.Cook over medium-low heat for another 4-5 minutes until the mixturehas thickened.Set aside and cool.Once cooled, pour the whipping cream into a bowl and beat with thewhisk attachment until soft peaks formFold the whipped cream into the cooked chocolate mixture untilcombined completely.For The Whipped Cream Layer:Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat the whippedcream with the whisk attachment until soft peaks form.To assemble the trifle, start with a layer of brownies filling thebottom of the trifle bowl. Sprinkle a third of the remaining M&M's ontop of the brownies, allowing them to settle in the cracks. Add alayer of chocolate mousse, then whipped cream. Repeat, ending withwhipped cream on top. Refrigerate overnight and serve.