Rich, fudgy M&M brownies, layered with chocolate mousse, more M&M’s and real whipped cream.
As promised, here is the recipe that I whipped up for my stint at the Edmonton Home & Garden show – one of them, the second will come later this week- and what a recipe it is. I love a good trifle, mainly because they are incredibly forgiving when it comes to assembling them, they are better when made a day or two before an event/supper and they are beauteous to behold.
Two things that I simply cannot budge on when it comes to trifles however is that I hate chocolate pudding in them and it must be real whipped cream. Not that you can’t use them, I just suggest that you don’t. I really don’t like the boxed chocolate pudding, the flavor and texture is just all wrong to me. Using Cool Whip – which does serve a purpose now and then- when you are baking up a decadent brownie and making a real chocolate mousse seems….well, sacrilegious to some extent.
This trifle deserves all homemade ingredients from start to finish. Trust me, it’s worth it in the end!
A few notes about this recipe:
– The M&M’s in the whipped cream will leach out color, which I personally love. The whipped cream becomes all colored and dreamy. IF however, your Type A personality just can’t handle it, then perhaps you might have to serve this ASAP.
– You can use any candies you like. For Easter, I would use the pastel Easter M&M’s between the layers for a gorgeous Easter palette.
– You can save candies for the top layer of whipped cream, I chose to leave mine plain.
Happy baking everyone!
Once More Home & Garden Show Today Then It’s Spring Break For The Whole Family! Magpie
PIN THIS RECIPE to your DESSERT RECIPES Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
How to make a decadent brownie trifle with layers of M&M candy and delicious brownies
- 1 1/2 cups of white sugar
- 3/4 cup of flour
- 3/4 cup of cocoa
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup of butter
- 1 M package &M baking pieces
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 8 oz chocolate of choice
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups of whipping cream to fold in later
- 2 1/2 cups of whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- :Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat on the stove.
- Remove and stir in the white sugar until dissolved.Mix in the cocoa until thoroughly combined.
- Add in your eggs and mix it very well.
- Stir in the flour gently until it it just combined, do not over mix.
- Add half the bag of M&M's and mix in.
- Pour into a 9x13 greased baking pan and bake for 25-30 minutes until the brownie batter is cooked.
- Cool and slice into one inch squares.
- Melt your chocolate and whipping cream together in a thick pot on the stove over medium-low heat.
- Beat the egg yolks until creamy yellow.
- Add some of the warm chocolate mixture to the egg yolks to temper them, mixing quickly and thoroughly.
- Add the tempered egg yolks into the chocolate mixture and whisk the ingredients together.
- Cook over medium-low heat for another 4-5 minutes until the mixture has thickened.Set aside and cool.
- Once cooled, pour the whipping cream into a bowl and beat with the whisk attachment until soft peaks form
- Fold the whipped cream into the cooked chocolate mixture until combined completely.
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat the whipped cream with the whisk attachment until soft peaks form.
- To assemble the trifle, start with a layer of brownies filling the bottom of the trifle bowl. Sprinkle a third of the remaining M&M's on top of the brownies, allowing them to settle in the cracks.
- Add a layer of chocolate mousse, then whipped cream.
- Repeat, ending with whipped cream on top. Refrigerate overnight and serve.