It’s good to be back making cocktails again on a more regular basis now that we’ve finally had two seconds to sit down after this whirlwind book tour for Flapper Pie and a Blue Prairie Sky. It was a helluva ride and Karlynn did a ton of media. Now that we’re home, I wanted to get back into more regular cocktail recipes and of course, being big fans of bourbon sours, I figured I’d start with one.
I did a Canadian spin on this particular drink and included a Canadian staple.. maple syrup in the drink to give it a sweet note. I think you’ll like it. We also used one of my favorite cocktail glasses for this shot, the much coveted pheasant glasses. I love these things, they are just awesome.
I think I own the whole set now as we tend to immediately buy anything similar for our bar-ware collection (which you’ll see throughout these recipes). Speaking of which, let me know in the comments if you think a bar-ware index would be something you’d enjoy seeing.
This sour consists of Jim Beam Bourbon, maple syrup, Sortilege (so good and a staple in our house!) and lemon juice. I added in some rosemary to give this drink a savory note and it’s an absolute must. The amounts in the recipe below are enough for a total of 4 drinks because 2 definitely isn’t enough!
Karlynn likes an added shot of Sortilege in hers ( she says it’s for sweetness…..but do we really believe her?) so make sure to adjust it to your liking. I like a bourbon sour that makes your face pucker up like Popeye’s face, but you might not. Add more maple syrup or Sortilege to taste before straining!
Mike ( AKA Mr Magpie)
PIN THIS RECIPE to your COCKTAIL RECIPES Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
Maple Rosemary Bourbon Sour
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Total Time
- 5 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 12 ounces of bourbon
- 1 1/2 ounces of maple syrup
- 1 1/2 ounces of Sortilege maple whiskey (if you can't get this in your area use 3 ounces of maple syrup instead
- 6 ounces of lemon juice
- 2 slices sprigs of rosemary and 2 of lemon for garnish
- Crush two sprigs of rosemary in a large measuring cup (enough to hold all of the ingredients) with a muddler.
- Add in bourbon, maple syrup, Sortilege maple whiskey and lemon juice.
- Give it a stir.
- Taste and see if it's sweet enough ( this can be sour!) and add more syrup or hey, Sortilege if you like, to bring it to your desired level.
- Strain into a clean pitcher.
- Add ice to glasses, pour over ice.
- Add a sprig of rosemary and a slice of lemon for garnish, if desired.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.