So you know those Hostess Snoballs, the pink coconut covered treats?
Mike swears that this trifle tastes exactly like them. Weirdly enough, this would never have been the trifle that I would have pegged as Mike’s favorite, especially since I put marshmallows in it.
This was a mistake trifle.
This was a ruined-my-coconut-rum-cake creation. That’s what you do, when you ruin a cake. Make a trifle out of it. Bless you, trifle inventor. I only swore a bit when this cake stuck to the pan.
Ok fine. I swore a lot.
I was GOING to make a gorgeous coconut rum cake- which reminds me, that it still on the docket dang it!- but I had to turn it into a trifle and was totally sidetracked.
But hey, a boozy trifle? Yes please! The secret is in the sauce, ladies and gentleman. That gorgeous rum and butter sauce that you can see between the layers.
You can make this trifle one of two ways.
One. Make a white cake mix, add in two teaspoons of coconut flavoring, then add in a cup of flaked sweetened coconut. Done.
OR you can make a coconut bundt cake from scratch, then swear when it sticks to the pan and then turn it into a trifle.
Your choice. The homemade cake is dense and good in this trifle and cussing in the kitchen is always a good time!
The cake mix would be light and fluffy and wouldn’t be the same consistency, but I like to give you all options.
Should I write a list of appropriate cuss words too?
Oh, it’s always choose your own adventure with Magpie, isn’t it?
Love you more than cussing,
PIN THIS RECIPE to your DESSERT RECIPES Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!
Malibu Rum Cake Trifle
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 1 hour
- Total Time
- 1 hour 15 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of Sour Cream
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
Malibu Rum Syrup
- ¾ cup salted butter
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup Malibu Rum
- 1 coconut cake see the recipe about or use a white cake mix with 2 tsp coconut flavoring and 1 cup flaked sweetened coconut added to it
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 bag large marshmallows
- 1/4 cup toasted coconut for topping
Homemade Coconut Cake
- Kick the tires and light the fires and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch bundt pan and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar mixture until light and fluffy with a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment.
- Add in the vanilla, mixing in completely.
- Add the eggs one at a time to the sugar mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour mixture and sour cream alternately and beat until well mixed.
- Mix in the coconut completely.
- Pout batter into a greased and flour bundt pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 55 minutes to an hour, or until a cake tester inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes then turn onto a wire baking rack to cool completely.
To make the Malibu Rum Sauce
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat.
- Once it is melted, add the sugar and the water. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the rum and continue to heat for another 30 seconds.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
To assemble trifle:
- Beat the whipping cream and sugar together until peaks form.
- Divide the cake into three parts.
- Place one layer of cake on the bottom of the trifle bowl.
- Drizzle one third of the Rum Sauce on top of the cake.
- Cut large marshmallows in half, then place a layer of marshmallows on top of the cake.
- Place a layer of whipped cream on top, using one third of the whipped cream.
- Repeat layers.
- Top with toasted coconut.
- Refrigerate overnight then serve.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.