Low Carb/Keto Crack Slaw.I know, nice name, nice name, but I didn’t name this dish. Which, by the way, I came across while on the hunt for low carb recipes for those family members of mine that like to stick to low carb dishes. This has become a regular meal, not just for low carbers! This Ukrainian girl LOVES her cabbage dishes!
I like to blame my relatives but to be honest Mike and I both really try to stick to vegetables and proteins as much as we can for breakfast and lunch, to make up for all the breakfast poutine and cocktails we have on the weekends, of course. So this crack slaw had really intrigued me, as everyone raves about it, calling it a low-carb saviour thanks to the delicious flavours.
Thus “crack” slaw, of course.
Now obviously I don’t dabble in hard drugs, but really, is crack STILL the gold standard? It was when I was in high school – pretty sure that’s when it became a commonplace phrase- but I’m pretty sure things have changed in the last 20 years. Not that I would know, but really, if we are always going to slap the word “crack” on something, let’s be sure that we know what we’re about.
That’s right, you come here to read nonsense.
Now, this is GOOD. Mike and I whipped it up for lunch on a video shoot day and scarfed it back between takes. It’s spicy ( you can adjust that either way with the sriracha sauce) and full of flavour.
While I do love the ground beef, I wouldn’t hesitate for a hot second to make this with ground turkey to cut the fat for those of you not doing the Keto diet ( which relies on animal fats as an energy source). This is originally a Keto recipe – with a few cheats like the Splenda – and it’s become mainstream thanks to the one-two-three punch of flavour that the garlic, sesame oil and sriracha add to plain ol’ cabbage and meat.
I will be making this with ground turkey and will check back in with an update, because this was hot, fast, easy and loaded with everything good for you protein and veggie-wise. What a way to get in your vegetables!
Have you made crack slaw before? What did you think? To visit our other website: The Kitchen Magpie Low Carb
Happy cooking babes!
Pin this recipe to your LOW CARB DINNER IDEAS board and remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Low Carb Crack Slaw Recipe & Video
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 25 minutes
- Total Time
- 35 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 pound lean ground beef or chicken or turkey
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons sesame seed oil
- 6-7 cups coleslaw mix
- 1-2 tablespoons sriracha
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar OR splenda for low carb
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 2-3 tablespoons green onion chopped
- In a large skillet, fry the ground beef until cooked and no longer pink. Drain and return to the stove.
- Push the ground beef to the side and add the sesame seed oil in the space. Add in the garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes, then mix into the ground beef.
- Add in the coleslaw mix. Drizzle with sriracha, vinegar, soy sauce and sprinkle with the sugar, salt and pepper. Fry for another 5 minutes until the cabbage is wilted to your liking.
- Plate, then sprinkle with the toasted sesame seed and green onions.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.