Kefir Apple Pie Overnight Refrigerator Oatmeal
You guys, it’s time! The weather is beautiful and it’s officially time to switch over our hot oatmeal breakfasts and enjoy a lovely cold oatmeal in the mornings to start our busy days. I have a few refrigerator oatmeal recipes on this website, but here I am going to kick things up a major notch.
We are going to make refrigerator oatmeal with kefir.
I’m sure that you have heard about kefir, but let me sum it up for you quickly why you should love kefir as much as I do. Kefir is a probiotic, fermented milk that contains 2 billion probiotics (per 250 ml) and is great for a healthy digestive flora. I used to make homemade kefir, but to be honest, I wasn’t on top of things and never quite nailed it. Something always went a little bit off so I happily buy my kefir in the stores now.
When I had the chance to come up with a new recipe featuring the new and organic Olympic Vanilla Kefir (also available in plain or strawberry), I knew exactly what I was going to make. Like the Olympic Dairy products, Kefir is refreshingly smooth, contains 10 different bacterial cultures, made from 100% natural ingredients and is low fat with only 1% M.F, all of which made it perfect for my morning refrigerator oatmeal. The products are also made in Delta B.C, so I am always in to help promote Canadian companies.
I also tried out the Olympic Krema Greek Style Thick & Rich yogurt, and it’s going to be amazing in my scones recipe. Stay tuned, I am sure that I will be whipping up a new scones recipe and using that yogurt in it! I also picked up the Olympic Organic Probiotic Raspberry Yogurt for the kids and of course, it was a huge success. You can, if wanted, substitute in the Olympic Organic Probiotic yogurt instead of the Olympic Vanilla Kefir in this recipe, just add in ½ cup of your choice of milk to thin it out!
If you’d like to check out some more of the Olympic Dairy products and some delicious farm-to-table recipes, click here to see.
Happy not-cooking everyone! Man, you gotta love refrigerator oatmeal!
Love you more than chocolate,
- 2 cups of large flake oats NOT instant or quick
- 2 cups of Olympic Vanilla Kefir
- 2 tbsp . maple syrup
- 2 tbsp . chia seeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large apples peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp . brown sugar
- 1-2 tbsp . maple syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp . cornstarch
- Combine the first six ingredients together in a large measuring cup. Divide evenly between 4 mason jars (or containers of choice).
- Combine the apples, sugar, syrup and cinnamon in a medium sized sauce pan.
- Cook until the apples have softened to your liking.
- Whisk the cornstarch and water together, then ad to the pot.
- Stir to make a sauce. Remove from the stove and cool completely.
- Spoon the apple mixture over the oatmeal. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Eat and enjoy in the morning!
Although this post has been generously sponsored by Ultima Foods, the opinions and language are my own.