Ah, spring in Alberta. That time of year when the sun it out and shining and it’s plus 16 Celsius one day, then minus 7 Celsius with snow the next.
Why do I live here instead of moving to, oh, Phoenix?
Note to self: buy lotto ticket so you can purchase your own island. Preferably somewhere warm.
So while the weather outside isn’t really cooperating all the time, my palate is ready for spring!
This Kale & Mixed Bean Salad was made in 5 minutes in the morning then shoved into the fridge for lunchtime. I love how easy it came together and you have a delicious homemade vinaigrette with it as well!
The secret to the vinaigrette is honey to cut the bitterness of the lemon and the mustard. All you need is a mere teaspoon and it takes this dressing from good to amazing!
If you can, find a seedy mustard, like Brassica, it really adds an amazing taste dimension to this salad that ordinary mustard doesn’t. If you can’t find a seedy one, use a good quality mustard.
I hope you enjoy this one! Stay tuned for more salads coming up!
Love you more than chocolate,
- 1 ounce can of mixed beans rinsed and drained, 15- or 16-
- 4 cups of washed shredded kale
- 2-3 tablespoons finely diced red onion optional
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp European style mustard like Brassica mustard with whole mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp garlic herb seasoning
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- In a large bowl, add beans, kale and onion.
- In a small measuring cup, combine the remaining ingredients, whisking together thoroughly. Pour over the kale and beans. Mix in completely, covering all the salad.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least half an hour before serving. You can let this sit for a few hours while the dressing softens the kale leaves, the longer the better!
- Serve and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 4