I am sure that long time readers of The Kitchen Magpie are familiar with my love for my Turkey Lasagna Soup. It’s what I serve at games night, what we eat when we are craving comfort food, it is my go-to soup recipe, hands down.
What if I told you that I just tweaked the recipe and it’s now even better?
The goal? To come up with a simple swap using their delicious sausage products – which are already a household staple – to boost the flavour in my dishes and then share my recipe revamps with all of you. Can we say F-U-N? This is what I live for, making comfort food even better!
I knew instantly when I saw ground Italian Sausage that I was going to use it to amp up my standby Turkey Lasagna Soup recipe. Since it’s already ground, there’s no de-casing the sausages – something I’m sure that we’ve all done to incorporate ground sausage into a dish – and it’s seriously the simplest, most delicious swap that I’ve ever come up with.
You start out the same way as my old recipe except this time we are frying up the mild Italian Sausage meat. It browns absolutely beautifully, with tons of moisture and the beautiful part is that you start smelling those herbs and spices right away. I love that I didn’t have to mess around with more spices. I also love when a product really does come through for you; the spices in this are divine. I love that I didn’t have to take any sausage out of their cases and fried this up as easy and can be.
I also approve of the flavour choices, Most ground italian sausage comes in Mild, Sweet and Hot. While I was very happy to find the mild flavour, I know that there are a lot of you out there that would enjoy the heat of the Hot flavour in this soup!
Once it’s ready, you just pile on the mozza cheese – we prefer the pizza mozza as it gets all stringy and lovely when you eat it – let it melt and enjoy!
I made this Italian Sausage Lasagna Soup for lunch for Mike and I the other day and in all honesty, there’s no going back to my turkey version again. I swapped in beef broth and that combined with the ground Italian Sausage made the best soup that I have ever tasted. We ate this for lunch, then I proceeded to feed it to us all (including the kids) for supper that night as well. It makes a large portion that is perfect for leftover lunches the next day
I have two more recipes coming with sausage in the next couple of weeks, stay tuned for my next recipe revamps! I am really excited about these ones as well, you’ll just have to wait and see!
Love you more than chocolate.
PIN THIS RECIPE to your SOUP RECIPES Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Italian Sausage Lasagna Soup
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 8 hours
- Total Time
- 8 hours 15 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 1 pound Ground Mild Italian Garlic Sausage
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups strong beef broth
- 1 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 ounce tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1-2 teaspoons white sugar
- 8 pieces whole wheat lasagna noodles broken into bite sized
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- In a large skillet over medium heat, fry the ground sausage and onions until the meat has browned and the onions are soft and translucent. Add in the garlic and fry for two to three minutes, until the garlic is brown. Place in a large crockpot.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients ( excluding the lasagna noodles and mozza cheese). Cook in the crockpot on low for 6-8 hours.
- Forty minutes before serving, stir in the uncooked lasagna noodles. Cook until tender. Serve topped with lots of mozza!
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.