Have you ever had a recipe that you are kicking yourself for not making all these past years? Well, homemade hot cocoa is exactly that recipe for me.
I’ve had all the ingredients in my pantry.
I drink hot chocolate every morning instead of coffee.
It takes you literally 5 minutes to make.
It’s healthier than anything you find in the store.
At this point after rattling off all those reasons why I am dumb, I feel like I should be handing in my Food Blogger Membership Card, I really do. Making my own hot chocolate mix was such an epiphany. I’ll never buy store-bought hot cocoa again for my pantry.
You guys, it’s literally four ingredients and a food processor.
Now, a few caveats.
It does not taste exactly like store-bought and if you think this is a bad thing, then you need to search out the recipes on the internet that use such gross things like Instant Chocolate Pudding in their homemade hot chocolate recipes. I looked at that and my gag reflex started up, sorry. Ewww. The point of homemade is to get rid of all those chemicals and make something better for you!
It has a cocoa taste to it, which I love. Let’s also remember that cocoa is healthy for us so I love that my morning drink now has some health benefits (flavonols to be exact) in it. You can adjust the cocoa as you wish and add more chocolate chips if you like.
Play with the ingredients listed below to make the perfect mix for yourself. It needs all of them, don’t try to take the cocoa out, or the chocolate chips. When you make it, the real chocolate becomes all melty and wonderful in it, adding a richness that’s needed.
I am so excited for you all to try this and make your own versions! Let me know how it goes and what amounts you used. Like more cocoa taste? You can add a bit more. What I did was make the batch and taste tested it. If it needed more sugar, I added more sugar to the whole batch, then tried again. It’s very forgiving and very easy!
Happy Sipping everyone!
** Remember to join ZIPLIST to create your own online recipe box and then click SAVE on my recipe below to add it! I use my online recipe box ALL the time! **Print
- 1 1/2 cups powdered milk
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Combine all ingredients in a larger food processor and process until completely broken down and it’s powdered. The chocolate chips will take a while to become granules, so have patience and just let the food processor chop it all up.
- Store in an airtight container for 6 weeks (or more), but it won’t last that long!
- (mini marshmallows are optional but can be added to the mix after processing)
- Stir into hot water to taste (I like mine strong and use a good two heaping tablespoons for my mug). You don’t need to add milk since we already use powdered milk in the mix.
- Serving Size: 20