These freak me right out.
I have a thing with mice. They freak me out. So to me, these cupcakes send shivers of disgust down my spine. Creepy, furry little gross buggers.
The kids found these gummy mice in Bulk Barn – love that place- and I knew they were what I was looking for. Gross, creepy but not too disgusting for kids.
Did I mention easy? Oh, did I want easy this Halloween. We have an annual open house the Saturday before Halloween – which unluckily is always the night after the kids Halloween dance at school that I usually volunteer at- and this year was no exception. It involves lots of baking, cleaning and general craziness.
It’s always so worth it to see and visit with everyone, I will give it that. This year I decided that everything needed to be fast and simple.
These are fast and simple with the added bonus of being home-made.
I used my favorite chocolate cake recipe, topped with my amazing Chocolate Buttercream Icing and stuck a mouse on top.
The kids went crazy and added gummy worms, but I like the simplicity of one single….shiver inducing…hairy…horrible…. mouse.
If you hate mice, you get my drift.
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate1 1/2 cups hot brewed coffee3 cups sugar2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder not Dutch process2 teaspoons baking soda3/4 teaspoon baking powder1 1/4 teaspoons salt3 large eggs3/4 cup vegetable oil1 1/2 cups well-shaken buttermilk3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Kick the tires and light the fires to 300 degrees.Get the chocolate and chop it up.Melt the chopped up chocolate in the hot coffee until it is completely dissolved and set aside.Whisk together your dry ingredients.Beat your eggs for 2-3 minutes, until they are thick and lemon colored. Time to add the oil, buttermilk and vanilla.Once those are in, add the coffee/chocolate mixture slowly.Then it's time for the dry ingredients, dump them in and mix at a moderate speed until they are combined completely.Place paper cupcake liners in the tins.Bake at 325 degrees for 17-22 minutes, until done.
After you bake up the cupcakes and let them cook, it’s time to make the icing.
Ingredients for Chocolate Buttercream Icing
- 1 cup salted butter
- 1/2 cup of cocoa
- 3 one ounce squares of melted then cooled chocolate
- 1/2 tsp instant coffee
- 1-2 tbsp heavy cream
- 3 1/4 – 3 3/4 cups icing suar
- Melt your three chocolate squares in the microwave, slowly and carefully until they are liquidy smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Whip the butter in your mixer until it’s light and fluffy.
- Add in the cocoa, beating until combined.
- When the chocolate is cool, add it to the butter. Make sure it’s cooled!!
- Add the instant coffee to one tablespoon of cream, then add to the butter mixture.
- Now you can put in the icing sugar one cup at a time, beating until combined.
- Adjust the thickness/texture by using another tablespoon of cream, adding it slowly until the texture you want is achieved.
Using any tip you like for design, ice the top of the cupcake. Place a gummy mouse on top.
I think if I went back and count how many times I used the word “gross” in this post I would be embarrassed at my lack of unique adjectives.
On that note, I hope everyone has a happy, spooky, spine-tingling Halloween!
The Magpie Who’s Afraid of Mice0