A good crockpot chicken lasagna has been on my list to make for a while now. (That “list” of mine is huge and exists only in my head. It would mean I was far too organized if I ever wrote things down, you know.)
I love a good chicken lasagna. Unfortunately, to find a good chicken lasagna means you are going to have to make it yourself or head out to your favorite restaurant.. Lasagna can be a time-consuming project, layer upon layer being built up into a gorgeous stack of cheesy goodness, culminating in a hot, tasty dinner that your children refuse to eat.
What? Only my children? You don’t say…
My son did pick the chicken out of this meal – sigh- but my daughter loved every bite. However, I will take that as a victory. Whole wheat noodles, ricotta cheese, mozza and more, my son ends up getting enough protein without the chicken, making it a one dish winner for our whole family.
Speaking of whole wheat noodles, I can’t stress enough to everyone to try to make the switch. Not only are they most times nutritionally superior but they cook up so much better than white pasta. The layers in lasagna stay together so much better with whole wheat pasta.
Also, I used normal Healthy Harvest noodles, you don’t need to find “no boil” pasta at all. This works just fine!
The layers are still built in the crockpot, but it’s a lot easier than in a pan. You start with some of the liquid on the bottom – prevents the noodles from sticking- and then take a third of each ingredient and place on top.
You repeat this process until you end up with only a layer of noodles. You then pour the remaining liquid on top, add more cheese and set your crockpot on low.
At the end of 5-6 hours, you will end up with a delectable chicken lasagna.
Hello fantastic comfort food! I’m going to be making this more than a few times this winter.
Thanks for stopping in everyone!Have a fabulous weekend!
** Remember to join ZIPLIST to create your own online recipe box and then click SAVE on my recipe below to add it! I use my online recipe box ALL the time! **Print
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2/3 cup of red onion diced
- 12-16 whole wheat lasagna noodles uncooked
- 3 cups Alfredo sauce
- 1 cup of water
- oz one large 15 . container of ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 cups of shredded mozzarella
one can of mushrooms
- 1-2 tablespoon butter
- Soak the noodles in a container of warm water while prepping the chicken.
- Fry up the chicken, garlic and onions in a skillet with the oil until the chicken is cooked through completely. Set aside.
- Combine the alfredo sauce and the water in a large measuring cup.
- Combine the ricotta cheese, eggs, pepper and oregano in a small bowl.
- Place one cup of the shredded mozza to the side for topping later on.
- Grease the bottom and sides of the crockpot with the butter.
- Take 1 cup of the sauce mixture and pour into the bottom of the crockpot.
- Place 3-4 noodles on top of the sauce for your bottom layer. you will have to break them up and patchwork piece them together.
- Place 1/3 of your ricotta mixture on top of the noodles, then take 1/3 of your chicken mixture and place on top.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the shredded cheese on top, followed by 1/3 of the mushrooms.
- Take another 3-4 noodles and place them on top again
- Pour another cup of the sauce mixture on top.
- Repeat with another 1/3 of the chicken, ricotta,cheese, etc on top.
- Top with another set of noodles.
- Pour on another cup of sauce.
- Take remaining thirds of everything and add on top.
- Top with noodles again.
- Pour the last cup of sauce on top, then top with the cup of shredded cheese that you had set aside.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours.This shouldn’t be cooked longer than 6 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 8