For my second post with Campbell’s I tackled a recipe that I was really on the fence about. I knew that I was going to have to try it, but I have to be honest, my eyebrows were a bit raised over the salsa and cream of celery soup used in it.
This is exactly the type of recipe that I need this time of year, easy, fast and someone else developed it. Oh, that last part is SO true. I am a little brain-dead this time of year. I am so busy coming up with new Christmas baking ideas that I don’t have the time or the inclination to be messing around with new dinner ideas.
Add in the fact that I am hosting my dinner club this Saturday for a games and dinner night, well, I’m one busy little bird. I am baking up a storm this week getting ready for it.
So this recipe was a welcome one and I have to admit, I liked the fact that you start with bacon.
The verdict? It turned out to be really delicious and that’s coming from a Ukrainian girl who is pretty darn serious about her perogies.
It was delicious enough that Mike ate it willingly and yes, I mean my husband, not one of the kids. Sometimes he’s the one that’s the picky pants in the family. I knew that my son would like it – and he scarfed back a plate at lunch – but I wasn’t so sure about Mike. My daughter has apparently sworn off perogies, something that I haven’t told her Grandmother about yet.
Eeek. Nana is going to find out at Christmas that The Rose isn’t eating her special, Nana-made perogies anymore. I have no idea why. She literally told me ” I’ve moved on to other things.”
The only thing I changed was to add more spinach and I would actually add even more next time. It was a nice fresh taste addition to the dish and I would honestly use a whole bag since it shrinks into almost nothing by the time you were done.
To keep the sodium low, make sure to use a no salt added broth AND get a lower sodium bacon for sure if it’s a concern.
Happy Cooking everyone!
- 5 slices bacon diced into small pieces
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 tbsp garlic minced, 15 mL
- 1 tsp ground black pepper 5 mL
- 1 box frozen perogies 907 g
- (1) 284 mL can CAMPBELL’S ® Condensed Low Fat Cream of Celery soup
- 1/2 cup CAMPBELL’S ® Ready to Use No Salt Added Chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa 250 mL
- 2 cups baby spinach loosely chopped, 500 mL
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese 125 mL
- 1/4 cup sour cream 125mL, garnish
- Cook bacon until crisp at medium heat in large skillet. Drain bacon on paper towel; remove all but 1 tbsp (15 mL) fat from skillet.
- Add onion, garlic and black pepper to skillet; cook and stir until onions are translucent â€“ about 3 minutes. Return bacon to pan.
- Add perogies to skillet and cook until browned on each side, about 10 minutes.
- Add the soup, broth and salsa and stir to combine and let simmer for 10 minutes
- Add the spinach and Parmesan cheese and cover skillet with lid. Turn heat off and let sit for a couple of minutes to allow spinach to wilt slightly then mix.
- Garnish with sour cream and serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 4
“Disclosure: I am part of the Campbell Company of Canada Ambassador
program with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of
my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.”