I can't think of a loaf that tastes like my childhood more than this cinnamon swirl loaf. I am pretty sure that my mom made this more than any other treat for us while we were growing up, and I'm also pretty sure that this is a Company's Coming recipe. In fact I bet if I went through my books, it would be in there somewhere! I'm just not sure which one it comes from, but I do know that my Mom has been making this loaf since the 1980's.
It's super easy to make, which is why I am sure that my mom made it so much. You literally put all of the ingredients into a bowl and mix them together, excepting the topping, of course.
And the topping?
Not really a topping.
It's more of this delicious sugary bliss that you swirl through the middle of the loaf, adding a delicious little surprise to the middle of the loaf!
This is also the BEST way to use up sour milk in your fridge.
Maybe THAT'S why my mom used this recipe all the time when we were kids. The original recipe calls for buttermilk, but soured milk works perfectly. You can do the old trick of adding in a tsp of vinegar to the milk to sour it, but you can use real ( as in, soured all by itself) milk and it's amazing.
Who else has eaten this loaf? I'm sure that there are some of you out there, I can't be the only one!
Happy Baking, Babes!
Love you more than chocolate,
Cinnamon Swirl Loaf
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Cinnamon Topping
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp salted butter (softened)
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- In a small bowl mix together all topping ingredients (you can double the amounts if desired for more cinnamon swirl).
- In a large bowl combine all the cake ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the topping mixture over the batter, then run through with a knife to create a swirl pattern.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the cake tests done.