This Christmas Magic Bars recipe is a based on a recipe my mom used to make; although at the time I believe she called them seven layer bars. They are a great addition to anyone’s entertaining repertoire and require very little time commitment to make. What’s unique about this recipe, however, is that I did not make them in my oven, where I typically do my baking. I love this time of year because I get to try out allll the new appliances!
Around this time of year, there are so many different dishes being prepared that my oven is often in use, preventing me from preparing multiple dishes at once. I have an oven in the bottom drawer of my gas stove that stopped working (boo) so I am really crunched for cooking and baking space now.
This year De’Longhi sent me an awesome convection oven to try out that can easily handle the job when my main oven is in use. It’s called the De’Longhi Livenza Convection Oven and I made these Christmas Magic Bars in it!
The oven is small enough to sit nicely on my counter but big enough that I can fit an 8″ x 8″ baking dish; such as the one pictured below. As a bonus, it matches the rest of my kitchen appliances, which let’s face it, is a rather important thing to me.
This oven however is going to be used at the lake this summer. As soon as I took it out of the box and saw all of the features in it I knew that it was the perfect thing for “glamping”.
Have you ever tried to light a gas oven pilot light? You have to stick your head in the oven basically and try to light it waaaay at the back. We have electricity at the lake so this oven is going to ensure that I don’t ever have to light another gas oven again. And yes, I bake and roast and cook allll summer long.
For a such a portable oven, I found it quite capable and easy to use. It has a ton of features such as:
- Three Heating Areas: Whether baking or roasting, the oven distributes heat evenly with its three specific heating areas
- Insulated to Maintain Heat: An innovative heating system maintains consistent heat due to insulated constriction and a double glass door
- Eight Preset Programs: Whether you want to make a pizza, roast a chicken or bake cookies, one of the eight preset programs is perfect for the job
- Cooking Functions: the internal temperature check guarantees that you are cooking with the right amount of heat for every meal
- Dedicated Recipe App: inspiration is only a tap away. Find more than 50 different recipes in the dedicated app available in Google Play and Apple’s App Store.
As you can see below, the Christmas Magic Cookie Bars turned out beautifully. They are ooey-gooey little bites of Christmas heaven! Yes, they are a very sweet bar which I lessened with using unsweetened coconut, which actually helps quite a bit.
I also might have used Dulche de Leche condensed milk instead of normal and chocolate baking crumbs for the base.
I think once you try these with a chocolate base you won’t ever go back to normal magic bars again.
And now for the best part! I super love this time of year because of all the cool stuff that you guys get a chance to win!
Just in time for the holidays, De’Longhi is giving away one of these very ovens to one lucky reader! You can enter to win your very own, which you can use to whip up these beauties. Check out the details below an the link to my Instagram giveaway!
To be entered to win, you will need to complete the below:
- Follow @delonghi.na (De’Longhi’s Instagram account) and my @thekitchenmagpie Instagram account
- Like my Instagram post announcing the giveaway
- Tag (5) of your friends in the comments section
- Only (1) entry per person is accepted
- Only (1) winner for your blog
Happy baking guys and good luck with the contest!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of De’Longhi. The opinions and text are all mine.
Chocolate, caramel and Christmas cherries make these the best magic cookie bars ever!
- 1/3 cup melted salted butter
- 1 1/2 cups of chocolate baking crumbs
- 1 ( 300ml) can of dulche de leche condensed mil ( sweetened)
- 1 1/2 cups flaked unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup of red and green Christmas cherries, chopped
- 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour the butter into an 8×8 pan. If wanted, line the pan with tinfoil first for easier removal.
- Sprinkle the baking crumbs on top of the butter in an even layer.
- Drop the condensed milk onto the crumbs by the spoonful, creating an even layer of it.
- Sprinkle the 3 remaining ingredients, in the order given over the condensed milk. Press down gently.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the coconut has browned.
- Remove and cool completely in the pan before slicing. To remove, use the tinfoil to take it out then slice.