So…I’m not sure if you know this, but I have a cookbook coming out…
If you haven’t heard, my first cookbook, Flapper Pie & a Blue Prairie Sky is coming out this fall. It’s being published by my amazing publisher, Appetite: by Random House and will be out October 25th, 2016.
I’m a wee bit excited over it! Like, a lot excited. Like, holy man is it October yet???
I bring up the cookbook because a) I can’t stop talking about it b) the title is Flapper Pie, so hello, totally relevant to this post and c) this is actually a reject from the cookbook.
Now, don’t be scared because I deemed this pie a reject. There is a very good reason for that and you’ll see when my cookbook comes out. Let’s just say that I paired up a lot of recipes but because the original custard Flapper Pie was SO integral to the entire book, it was a stand alone star. Didn’t need a friend.
Aws. Poor little pie, all tossed out of the cookbook because he wasn’t a star. Now actually, he is. On my original post for Flapper Pie, there were commenters asking if I’d ever had a CHOCOLATE flapper pie. This was their childhood favorite. This pie is a star!
While you may think that it’s merely a chocolate meringue pie – and it’s close- the one major difference is that delicious graham cracker crust instead of a pastry crust. Flapper pie doesn’t ever have a pastry crust, whether it’s original or chocolate flapper pie.
While this might have been made with a plain graham cracker crust – and feel free to sub one in if you want to- I made mine with a chocolate cookie crumb crust.
Because chocolate cookie crumb crust. Amiright?
So if you have a hankering for another prairie pie – and this one was new to me- go ahead and try out Chocolate Flapper Pie. Heck, do a taste test with it and the original Flapper Pie.
It’s your duty, you know.
Love you more than Flapper Pie,
PIN THIS RECIPE to your DESSERT RECIPES Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Chocolate Flapper Pie
- Prep Time
- 20 minutes
- Cook Time
- 30 minutes
- Total Time
- 50 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- Chocolate Flapper Pie
CHOCOLATE COOKIE CRUMB PIE CRUST:
- 1 1/4 cups chocolate cookie crumbs
- 5 tbsp salted butter melted
- 3 tbsp white sugar
CHOCOLATE CUSTARD FILLING
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 large egg yolks beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the cookie crumbs, butter and sugar in a bowl and stir until the crumbs are covered in the melted butter evenly. Pat the mixture firmly into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie pan.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes, until the crust is firm. Remove and cool.
- In a saucepan, mix sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt, then gradually whisk in the milk.
- Cook, stirring frequently, over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat; cook for 2 minutes more, stirring all the while. Remove from heat.
- Temper the egg yolks by stirring in about 3 tbsp of the hot filling into the egg yolks.
- Return to the saucepan and bring to a gentle boil, stirring continuously until it thickens up some more.
- Cook and stir for another 3 minutes then remove.
- Stir in the vanilla. Pour the hot filling into the pie crust.
- For the meringue, immediately beat the egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add the white sugar and continue to beat until the egg whites are stiff and glossy. Spread evenly over the hot pie filling, sealing the egg white meringue to the cookie pie crust. Bake at 350Â° for 12-15 minutes or until golden.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.