You guys.I threw a bag of salad in a skillet with chicken. And it was delicious. Ok, it was a little more complex than that, but in essence, the bag of salad I bought inspired this recipe. I have found a new favorite salad kit here in the States (my go to lunch since I am working 10 hours days with the cookbook lately it seems) and I did throw it in the skillet the other night.
It’s Brussels Sprouts, arugula and kale with a lemon dressing..and I thought well, why not just wilt it all in the frying pan?
And so I did.
This is a deep look into my shallow mind, people. This is how I come up with recipes. There’s no rhyme or reason at all.
I took the hint from the salad dressing and added in lemon juice, garlic and chicken stock for flavoring. It was inhaled by the family. INHALED, I tell you.
It’s light, lemony and so flippin’ refreshing for a chicken dish in the middle of winter.
This is where I boss you around and tell you to make this now. You can sub in what you like – maybe add stanch – and mess around with how lemony you want it. It’s just SO EASY to make.
My version is heaving on the Brussels sprouts, and make sure you shave them thinly…they will still be crunchy when the dish is cooked. Heavenly. I added in another two cups of shaved sprouts…and would add even more next time.
Happy cooking everyone!
PIN THIS RECIPE to your DINNER RECIPES Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
Chicken, Kale and Brussels Sprouts Skillet
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Cook Time
- 25 minutes
- Total Time
- 30 minutes
- Main Course
- Karlynn Johnston
- 2 whole chicken breasts halved
- 1/2 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 cups of assorted shredded greens: Brussels sprouts spinach arugula, kale
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- Parmesan cheese to garnish - or your choice of strong flavored cheese
- Take each piece of chicken breast and flour on each side. Sprinkle desired amount of salt, pepper and garlic powder on each side. I used a sprinkle of each.
- Heat the skillet on medium-high heat with the butter and olive oil.
- Fry the chicken breasts in the oil, approximately 4-5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of each breast until almost entirely cooked through.
- Add in the greens and fresh garlic, sautee until slightly limp and browned, approxmiately 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock and lemon juice into the pan.
- Cook another couple of minutes, making sure to scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Serve each piece of chicken with a scoop full of greens.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.