Raise your hand if you still have ham leftover from Easter Sunday.
*raises hand in the air*
I made this ham lasagna and I still have ham leftover from Easter dinner! I think split pea soup is on the menu tomorrow. And for the rest of the week.
I am sure that when you saw the title of this recipe you thought – “ham lasagna, Karlynn? Say what?!”
Yuppers. Ham lasagna. Born out of desperation to use up ham that is taking up way too much space in my fridge. I might have let Mike pick up the Easter ham and forgot to specify a size. Not that I don’t mind leftovers, it’s just that my brother forgot to take HIS leftovers of ham (accidental or purposeful we’ll never know) leaving me with twice the usual leftovers to deal with.
I’d like to say that I was so innovative, so creative with this recipe but honestly it came from the fact that I had no elbow macaroni. I was seriously going to phone in this recipe and just make a ham mac n’cheese.
I stood in my pantry cursing the fact that a) I was too lazy to go and get groceries and b) that I was too lazy to go and get groceries and c) that I had no pasta.
Oh, but I did have pasta, just not the type I wanted.
So, another recipe has been born from the fruit of my laziness
You guys…this was freaking amazing.
My entire family ate it. My daughter only picked out the mushrooms – to be expected- and ate the ham, kale cheese and noodles. Oh, days like that I celebrate! We are so getting there with her trying new foods and it only took 8 years! Both kids took this for lunch today, the lucky little devils and I threatened a beating when they got home if they didn’t eat most of it. There should be no waste when something is as awesome as this is.
Hope you give this one a whirl! Make sure to check out the picture below to see photos of how the layering works!
Happy cooking everyone!
Love you more than chocolate,
PIN THIS RECIPE to your DINNER RECIPES Boards and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
Cheesy Ham and Kale Lasagna
- Prep Time
- 20 minutes
- Cook Time
- 55 minutes
- Main Course
- Karlynn Johnston
- 2 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms 9 lasagna noodles
- 1 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups kale washed and shredded with ribs removed
- 4 cups ham cubed and fully cooked
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 9 lasagna noodles (normal NOT no boil)
- Soak the lasagna noodles in cold water for 15-20 minutes while you prepare everything.
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, celery, carrots and onion in oil for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Add ham, kale and garlic; cook 1-2 minutes longer or until garlic is tender and kale has wilted.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and cream; stir into ham mixture.
- Add tomatoes and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until heated through (sauce will be thin).
- In a small bowl, combine the cheeses.
- Place three noodles in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; top with a third of the sauce and a third of the cheese mixture.
- Repeat layers twice. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Let stand for 20 minutes before cutting.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.