My new Cheesy Green Chile Chicken Lasagna has been on my mind for months now, just waiting for the right moment to make it. That “right moment” happened when I was asked if I would like to make a recipe with Bothwell Cheese’s medal winning Habanero with Cracked Black Pepper cheese – I KNEW that this spicy chicken lasagna recipe that had been rattling around in the back of my mental recipe index was finally going to come to fruition!
*While this post has been generously sponsored by Bothwell Cheese and I’ve been compensated monetarily for creating a delicious new original recipe with their product, all my opinions remain my own.”*
Chicken Lasagna is All About The Cheese
This was the cheese that my chicken lasagna was waiting for. Bothwell Cheese’s Habanero with Cracked Black Pepper Cheese won a silver medal in the bi-annual 2018 World Championship Cheese Contest this spring. First, I had no idea that there was a World Championship Cheese Contest (held in Wisconsin, one of my VERY favourite states to visit! Cheese and tons of antiquing, what could be better?) and second, how do I go about getting an invite as a cheese taster and judge? What a gig that would be!
I digress. As soon as I found out that the Bothwell’s Habanero With Cracked Black Pepper has high heat flavour with a creamy Monterey Jack base, I knew that this fiery, flavourful cheese was going into that green chile chicken lasagna. Bothwell Cheese is made with quality 100% Canadian milk, using only the freshest milk from local Manitoba farms to create their products – something that this Canadian prairie girl loves!
Now, I don’t want you thinking that this lasagna is too hot and spicy for you. I am somewhat of a wimp when it comes to heat- Mr Magpie can eat hot wings like a boss while I tear up after just one. This chicken lasagna is just the right amount of fiery heat. There’s a layer of cottage cheese in the middle that helps to deliciously temper the heat, while topping the finished lasagna with a cool dollop of sour cream is the pièce de résistance. Don’t leave out the sour cream, the sour tang and cooling sensation is what brings this lasagna together for serving.
Karlynn’s Tips & Tricks for Making Great Chicken Lasagna
- Make sure to buy the Bothwell Habanero with Cracked Black Pepper cheese and use it in this lasagna, but if you are concerned about it being too spicy, make sure to pick up a block of Bothwell Cheese Mozzarella ( click here to find your nearest location to purchase the cheese) as well and do half of each cheese – 2 cups of Habanero and 2 cups of Mozzarella. This is sure to please all palates in your family!
- Make sure that you cook your lasagna noodles to al dente, you don’t want them too firm yet don’t want to overcook them. Please note that this recipes doesn’t use no-bake noodles!
- Make this chicken lasagna ahead of time and pop it into your fridge. Simply put it together, cover it with tinfoil and place in your refrigerator. When you are ready to cook just pre-heat your oven and pop it in!
- You can also make this with whole wheat or whole grain lasagna noodles, again, make sure not to over cook them.
Another trick to making this a lifesaving, easy recipe is that you use rotisserie chicken! It’s one of my favourite time saving tricks, from soup to casseroles or lasagnas like this one. While you definitely can use shredded chicken that you roast at home, the rotisserie chickens are packed with extra flavour that really makes this dish shine. Also – it saves my sanity. This is the easiest chicken lasagna you are ever going to make and this is going into my permanent dinner rotation list from now on because not only can Mr Magpie make this, it’s a great recipe to get the kids started on lasagna making! Then the kids can master the more complex homemade lasagnas later. All part of my evil master plan to get everyone else cooking in this household!
Pin this recipe to your Dinner Ideas Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!
Cheesy Green Chile Chicken Lasagna
- Prep Time
- 20 minutes
- Cook Time
- 1 hour 10 minutes
- Total Time
- 1 hour 30 minutes
- North American
- Karlynn Johnston
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups green chile enchilada sauce
- one 127 millilitres can of chopped green chiles, drained slightly
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 cups shredded Bothwell Habanero with Cracked Black Pepper cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- Prepare the lasagna noodles according to the package instructions, cooking them to al dente. Remove, drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 350 °F.
- Take 1/2 cup of the green chile sauce and spread out on the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, the remaining green chile sauce, sour cream and green chiles until they are mixed together thoroughly.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cottage cheese and beaten egg until combined.
- Lay 3 lasagna noodles into the bottom of the pan. Spread out 1/3 of the chicken mixture onto the noodles in an even layer. Sprinkle 1 cup of the shredded cheese on top.
- Lay the next 3 noodles on top. Spread out the cottage cheese on top in an even layer. Top with another 1/3 of the chicken mixture, then sprinkle 1 cup of shredded cheese on top.
- Lay the last 3 noodles on top. Spread out the last of the chicken mixture in an even layer, then cover with the remaining 2 cups of shredded cheese.
- Cover the pan with tinfoil and bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes, until the lasagna is bubbling and hot. Remove the tinfoil and bake for another 10 minutes, letting the cheese brown slightly.
- Remove and let sit for 5-10 minutes, then slice and serve topped with sour cream and cilantro.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.