My daughter, for all her pickiness, is a lasagna connoisseur. I do believe she is a reincarnation of that orange cat we all loved in the 80’s, Garfield. She will always eat lasagna, unless, of course, it’s seafood or vegetable. That kid loves beef lasagna and don’t you dare try to feed her anything else.
This time around for my latest recipe for Campbell’s I tackled their Cheesy Beef Lasagna.
She ate it. It’s a win.
I always use whole wheat noodles when it comes to homemade lasagna and I urge you to do the same. They never overcook and become soggy, they are healthier than white pasta and they honesty lend this toothiness to the lasagna that makes it perfect. I hate soggy noodles.
Try it and see. I doubt anyone will even notice that you used whole wheat in the middle of all the sauce and meat!
I found the lasagna really filled up my 9×13 pan, so I placed it on a baking sheet when I cooked it. Use a higher edged 9×13 for sure with this recipe, it’s large and in charge!
The best part? You have leftovers for the next day. Lunches, dinner, whatever you want it’s already made for you!
I think a lot of people are intimidated by the thought of homemade lasanga and there’s no reason to. It’s SO easy. I mean, really, really, super easy you guys. It’s one of the easiest meals to make! You can customize the ingredients to your liking (no mushrooms, more onions) and it bakes up so beautifully.
Happy Cooking everyone! What are your weekend plans? We are packing up to come home, ugh it’s a 4 day road trip starting Sunday for us.
So make sure that the snow is gone, ok? I’m wearing my sandals all the way home…seriously.
- 2 tsp olive oil 10 mL
- 2 cups onion chopped, 500 mL
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced, 500 mL
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 lbs lean ground beef 1.3 kg
- 2 tbsp chili powder 30 mL
- 3 mL cans CAMPBELL’SÂ® Condensed Tomato with Basil and Oregano Soup 852
- 3 cups CAMPBELL’SÂ® No Salt Added Ready to Use Beef Broth 750 mL
- 4 cups light ricotta cheese 1 L
- 3 cups mozzarella shredded, 750 mL
- 1 cup Parmesan grated, 250 mL
- 2 eggs
- 12 oven ready lasagna noodles uncooked
- 1 tsp black pepper 5 mL
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the onions and mushrooms and sautÃ© for 5 minutes until the vegetables caramelize.
- Add the garlic and ground beef and continue to sautÃ© for another 5 minutes or until the beef is well browned. Add the chili powder and continue to sautÃ© for 2 minutes.
- Add the soup and cook for 5 minutes. Add broth and continue to cook for 10 minutes or until the meat is cooked. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese, half of the mozzarella cheese, eggs and black pepper. Mix Well.
- Preheat oven to 375Â°F. Spread 2 cups of the meat sauce in the bottom of a 9â€ x 13â€ pan. Layer 4 lasagna noodles on top, overlapping noodles slightly to cover the bottom.
- Spread half of the cheese mixture over noodles. Layer with 2 Â½ cups of meat sauce and 4 lasagna noodles.
- Spread the remaining cheese mixture on top of the second layer of noodles, layer with 2 Â½ cups of meat sauce and 4 lasagna noodles.
- Spread the remaining meat sauce on lasagna noodles, top with parmesan cheese and remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes at 375Â°F.
- Uncover and continue to bake for 15 minutes until the top is golden and bubbly. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Serving Size: 12
Nutritional information is only an estimate. Actual nutritional numbers will vary due to cooking methods, your ingredient measurements and brands of products used.
“Disclosure: I am part of the Campbell Company of Canada Ambassador program with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.”