When you want a quick and easy dinner that is perfect for cold fall and winter evenings, Beef Lasagna is always a great go-to. Filled with pasta, beef and cheesy goodness, it’s the ultimate hearty meal. If you love hearty meals, try my Shipwreck Casserole!
Cheesy Beef Lasagna
A lot of people are intimidated by the thought of homemade lasagna and there’s no reason to. It’s SO easy. I mean, really, really, super easy you guys. It’s one of the easiest meals to make! You can customize the ingredients to your liking (no mushrooms, more onions) and it bakes up so beautifully. A tip – make two and freeze one for later! Make the mess in the kitchen once and get two dinners out of it!
You can get the full list with the correct measurements in the recipe card below but is what you’ll need to gather:
- lasagna noodles (no boil, ready for the oven noodles)
- lean ground beef
- white onion
- four cheese pasta sauce
- ricotta cheese
- large egg
- Italian seasoning
- Parmesan cheese
- pizza mozzarella and cheddar cheese mixed & shredded
How to Make Lasagna with Ground Beef
To make this cheesy beef lasagna, you’re going to need quite a few ingredients but putting it together is straightforward. While there are several different types of lasagna, we’re making ground beef lasagna today.
- Fry up the beef and onions.
- Drain the excess grease and add in the garlic.
- Sautee until browned.
- Stir in sauce and water, remove from heat.
- Combine the ricotta, egg, Italian seasoning, and Parmesan.
- Build lasagna layers one by one.
- Cover and bake in 350 °F oven for 45-50 minutes until the noodles are soft.
- Remove the cover and bake the cheese on top for another 5-10 minutes to get it slightly crispy around the edges.
- Remove, let sit for 10 minutes and then slice and serve.
How to Freeze and Reheat Lasagna
It is best to cook the lasagna before freezing it, cooked pasta freezes better than uncooked no-boil noodles, the texture is better!
To freeze, simply cover the lasagna in the pan in aluminum foil. Freeze overnight. If you want to take it out of the pan, remove it the next day and wrap it up in several layers of plastic wrap, followed by aluminum foil. Place in the freezer.
To reheat, remove the frozen lasagna and place into the correct sized baking pan. Let it defrost, then bake it in the oven for 45-50 minutes at 350 °F.
Tips and Tricks
- For a crispy cheese topping, remove the cover, and bake the cheese on top for another 5-10 minutes to get it slightly crispy around the edges.
- Feel free to play around with the types of cheese.
- Make one and freeze one! It really makes sense, you make one mess, and get two dinners!
Hope you guys enjoy it, happy cooking!
Pin This Recipe To Your Dinner Recipes Board and Remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you'll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!
Cheesy Beef Lasagna
This easy and delicious beef lasagna is sure to be a hit with the entire family!
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 1 hour 30 minutes
- Total Time
- 1 hour 45 minutes
- Main Course
- Karlynn Johnston
- 9 lasagna noodles no boil noodles, ready for the oven noodles
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups four cheese pasta sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- 5 cups pizza mozza and cheddar cheese mixed & shredded
In a large frying pan, fry up the ground beef and onions together until the ground beef is no longer pink and the onions are soft and translucent.
Drain the excess grease and add in the garlic. Sautee until the garlic is browned.
Stir in the sauce and the water, remove from heat.
Combine the ricotta cheese, egg, Italian seasoning, and Parmesan cheese in a medium bowl.
In a 9x13 baking pan, spread about 1/3 of the meat and sauce mixture on the bottom. Lay three noodles on top.
Spread 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture on top of the noodles evenly. Top with a cup of mixed cheese.
Lay another 3 noodles on top. Spread out another 1/3 of the sauce on top of the noodles. Spread another 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture on top, followed by a cup of mixed cheese.
Lay the last 3 noodles on top, followed by the last 1/3 of the sauce mixture and the last 1/3 of the ricotta mixture. Sprinkle with another 2-3 cups of the mixed cheese. ( I like a seriously good layer of cheese on top!)
Cover and bake in 350 °F oven for 45-50 minutes until the noodles are soft.
If you like, remove the cover and bake the cheese on top for another 5-10 minutes to get it slightly crispy around the edges.
Remove, let sit for 10 minutes and then slice and serve.
Nutritional values may vary.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.