Welcome to the first of many in a new series by me, Mr. Magpie. I’ve decided to share with you my drink recipes that Karlynn and I enjoy every Thursday in a new segment we’ll call Thirsty Thursdays. Today, I bring you the greatness of chocolate and bourbon.
What a black cow drink is varies by the region you are in. In some places, it’s an ice cream float, in others it’s evaporated milk with coke or root beer. It wasn’t inherently a boozy drink to start, but more of a childhood favorite treat.
Trust us to make it boozy.
Of course, like all drink recipes, the point to making them is to drink them so let’s stop wasting time and get to the nitty gritty.
To whip up this beauty, all you need to do is this:
- Combine 1/2 cup of evaporated milk with 2 cups of root beer (your choice on the brand but we used A&W Root Beer for this particular one) and 2 ounces of your favorite bourbon. Mix then split between two tall cocktail glasses.
- Add ice to fill the glass.
- Drizzle chocolate sauce on the top.
Chug! Chug! Chug!Serve.
Oh hey, boozy perfection.
If you aren’t sure on what to buy as far as bourbon goes, a personal favorite in our house is Buffalo Trace. It’s amazing and mixes very nicely with almost anything. You can pick it up pretty much anywhere but we tend to buy ours from Wine and Beyond.
Another important thing to remember, you don’t have to add booze to this drink. If you want to make virgin cocktails for the kids, just leave out the alcohol and become the best parent ever! (we don’t allow pop very often in our house so it’s a treat for our kids).
Recipe is below for printing! Have a boozy day!
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk2 cups root beer2 ounces bourbon or more who are we to judge?ice to fill glass chocolate sauce to drizzle
- Combine the milk, root beer and bourbon. Split between two tall glasses.Add in ice to fill. Drizzle chocolate sauce on top and serve.