Table of Contents
I completely broke a rule with this recipe.
Keep bacon out of desserts. <—– broken rule.
Now don’t get me wrong, I love bacon. I’m just not a huge fan in bacon in desserts, I can’t help it, I’m a little bit of an old-fashioned gal. There are a few exceptions, the bacon doughnuts at Tavern 1903 are one of them. If you do it right, I’m ok with it. I’m going to excuse my rule-breaking by saying these are a snack, not a dessert, however, I surely did combine my two loves, sweet and salty, in one delicious bowl of snackage!
I know that everyone pairs bacon with maple and to be honest, that’s a combination that I’m getting a little tired of. I went with basic brown sugar and butter, making this easy, inexpensive, and seriously tasty!
Another bonus is that because Chex is gluten-free if you use gluten-free bacon (the natural ones usually are) you have a gluten-free snack that is seriously amazing!
It is important to make sure your bacon is NOT crispy, as it will overcook in the oven when you combine it with the cereal. Cook it until it’s done but not crisped up.
With the awards season coming up – and Chex mix being one of the most popular snacks out there when it comes to parties- I teamed up with Chex to not only create a new delicious Chex mix recipe but to host a giveaway as well! I must admit, the Oscar’s are my favorite…and it’s for the fashion. I know, I should pay more attention to the movies nominated but I really just want to see what everyone is wearing!
Hope you love the snack!
Don’t forget to PIN THIS RECIPE to your PARTY SNACKS RECIPES board and remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Thanks to ads on this website, readers of The Kitchen Magpie are now sponsoring 2 families a month through the Edmonton Food Bank. Learn how you can help here.
Learn to cook like the Kitchen Magpie
Subscribe to The Kitchen Magpie on YouTube
One click and you’ll get notified of new videos added to our YouTube account!Subscribe on YouTube
Bacon & Brown Sugar Chex Mix
- Prep Time
- 5 minutes
- Cook Time
- 15 minutes
- Total Time
- 20 minutes
- Karlynn Johnston
- 3 cups Honey Nut Chex If you want you can sub one cup of peanuts for one cups of the Chex mix. I left mine nut free, but peanuts would be yummy!)
- 3 cups regular Chex
- 7 slices bacon cooked not until crispy and diced
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- Grease a large baking sheet and set aside.
- Melt the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan on medium heat.
- When the sugar and butter are combined, reduce the burner temperature to low heat and let it sit and bubble for 2 minutes without stirring.
- Combine the Chex cereal and bacon in a large bowl.
- Pour the brown sugar mixture over the Chex and gentle stir to cover the cereal completely with the sugar mix.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Stir and bake 5 minutes more.
- Cool on the baking sheet and serve!
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.