I completely broke a rule with this recipe.
Keep bacon out of desserts. <—– broken rule.
Now don’t get me wrong, I love bacon. I’m just not a huge fan in bacon in desserts, I can’t help it, I’m a little bit of an old fashioned gal. There are a few exceptions, the bacon doughnuts at Tavern 1903 are one of them. If you do it right, I’m ok with it.
I’m going to excuse my rule breaking by saying these are a snack, not a dessert, however I surely did combine my two loves, sweet and salty, in one delicious bowl of snackage!
I know that everyone pairs bacon with maple and to be honest, that’s a combination that I’m getting a little tired of. I went with basic brown sugar and butter, making this easy, inexpensive and seriously tasty!
Another bonus is that because Chex is gluten free, if you use a gluten free bacon (the natural ones usually are) you have a gluten free snack that is seriously amazing!
It is important to make sure your bacon is NOT crispy, as it will over cook in the oven when you combine it with the cereal. Cook it until it’s done but not crisped up.
With the awards season coming up – and Chex mix being one of the most popular snacks out there when it comes to parties- I teamed up with Chex to not only create a new delicious Chex mix recipe, but to host a giveaway as well! I must admit, the Oscar’s are my favorite…and it’s for the fashion. I know, I should pay more attention to the movies nominated but I really just want to see what everyone is wearing!
Now, on to the fabulous contest!
You have the chance to win what is shown in the picture above! (minus my Chex Mix and my tablecloth)
- One (1) box of Rice Chex cereal
- One (1) box of Honey Nut Chex cereal
- One (1) Gourmet Settings Windermere Solid Spoon Server
- One (1) Pasabahce Lyric Ophelia Serving Bowl
- Four (4) Home Essentials For Home Glass Dessert Bowl
- Four (4) Microlux Microfiber Polyester Napkin
- Four (4) Attitudes Weave Metal Napkin Ring
Good luck everyone!
“Disclosure: I am part of the Chex Mix Blogger Campaign with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.”Print
- 3 cups of Honey Nut Chex
- 3 cups of regular Chex
- 7 slices of bacon cooked (not until crispy) and diced
- 3/4 c . butter
- 3/4 c . brown sugar
- cup (If you want you can sub 1 of peanuts for one cup of the Chex mix. I left mine nut free, but peanuts would be yummy!)
- Grease a large baking sheet and set aside.
- Melt the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan on medium heat.
- When the sugar and butter are combined, reduce the burner temperature to low heat and let it sit and bubble for 2 minutes without stirring.
- Combine the Chex cereal and bacon in a large bowl.
- Pour the brown sugar mixture over the Chex and gentle stir to cover the cereal completely with the sugar mix.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Stir and bake 5 minutes more.
- Cool on the baking sheet and serve!
- Serving Size: 8