I can’t believe that it’s taken me this long to come up with a chocolate buttercream icing that I liked. I have to be honest and admit that I only have tried on a couple of occasions to whip one up, but they never seemed to compare to my regular Best Buttercream Icing recipe.
Of course, it came about because I put everything I could think of in it. Cocoa? Check. Melted chocolate? Check. Instant coffee? Checkity check check. And that’s how my recipes come about.
If at first you don’t succeed, throw everything into the mixer and pray! Words to live by my friends, words to live by.
Really though, I took everything I could think of from all the recipes I have ever come across in my baking years and just put the best of it all together.
You need more than just cocoa, but the dry bitterness really is a must.
Do I even need to explain melted chocolate and salted butter together? No. I do not. Because I am sure as you are reading this your heart just skipped a beat with chocolate lust seeing those words together.
Melted chocolate. Salted butter. Amen.
I actually had to stop for a moment and try to remember where I was in writing this recipe, that’s how distracting those two phrases are. However, I am at instant coffee, which lies at the very heart of all the simply fantastic chocolate recipes. They are a match made in culinary heaven and should rarely leave each others proverbial side.
So without further ado, the recipe for Chocolate Buttercream Icing!
- 1 cup salted butter
- ½ cup of unsweetened cocoa
- 3 one ounce squares of melted then cooled semi-sweet chocolate
- ½ tsp instant coffee
- 1-2 tbsp heavy cream
- 3¼ – 3¾ cups icing suar
- Melt your three chocolate squares in the microwave, slowly and carefully until they are liquidy smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Whip the butter in your mixer until it’s light and fluffy.
- Add in the cocoa, beating until combined.
- When the chocolate is cool, add it to the butter. Make sure it’s cooled!!
- Add the instant coffee to one tablespoon of cream, then add to the butter mixture.
- Now you can put in the icing sugar one cup at a time, beating until combined.
- Adjust the thickness/texture by using another tablespoon of cream, adding it slowly until the texture you want is achieved.
So creamy. So dreamy. So super chocolate bliss.
Best chocolate buttercream icing ever!!!
Feel free to play around with the amounts of everything listed and create the balance that is right for your taste buds. I just know that you most certainly need more than just cocoa, you need melted chocolate and a dash of coffee taste to make this amazing!
Happy Baking everyone!
The Chocolate Buttercream Icing Rocks My Nest Magpie