The ultimate comforting beef dish, beef stroganoff is all about warm and nourishing sour cream-covered beef. This Instant Pot version takes a lot of the challenge out, making it an easy weeknight meal. It’s especially decadent when you make your own egg noodles!
Or just make this delicious Hungarian Goulash instead?
Table of Contents
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff Ingredients
- How To Make Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- What Is The Best Possible Side Dish with Beef Stroganoff
- Do You Need An Instant Pot For This Recipe?
- Don’t forget to PIN THIS RECIPE to your DINNERS Board and remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
Beef Stroganoff has its origins in Eastern Europe and is basically just any sautéed beef dish served with a sauce enriched with sour cream.
This recipe uses a few classic ingredient additions, such as mushrooms and plenty of onion and garlic, along with a few modern twists for flavor like cream cheese and Worcestershire sauce.
It might not be the most completely authentic version, but it is without a doubt the most delicious. Plus, thanks to the Instant Pot, it is insanely easy to make, requiring almost no time at all.
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff Ingredients
Make sure you look at the recipe card at the very bottom for the exact amounts, as there are a few fiddly ingredients here.
• Beef stewing meat
• Ground black pepper
• Canola oil
• White onion
• White mushrooms
• Beef broth
• Worcestershire sauce
• Egg noodles
• Sour cream
• Cream cheese
• Minced parsley
• Cold water
How To Make Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
• Whisk together the salt, pepper, and flour
• toss the cubed beef in the flour mixture until coated
• Press the sauté button on your instant pot and heat the oil
• Add in the onions and sauté for 5 minutes until they begin to soften
• Add the floured beef and cook until evenly browned for about 3-4 minutes
• Sauté the garlic until fragrant
• Slowly pour some of the beef broth into the bottom of the pot, scraping off all of the browned bits and onions, deglazing the bottom until it’s cleaned off. Don’t remove the beef; just scrape underneath it
• Add in the mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, and any remaining beef broth
• Change the Instant Pot to manual setting, adjust the pressure to high, and set time for 20 minutes
• Once it’s done, use the quick-release and then stir in the egg noodles
• Set to high for a further 5 minutes
• Once done, release with quick-release again, and then check the liquid, thickening with cornstarch slurry as needed
• Once thickened, stir in the sour cream and cream cheese until melted, and then season with salt & pepper and serve hot
What Is The Best Possible Side Dish with Beef Stroganoff
This recipe uses some simple egg noodles cooked right in the Stroganoff sauce to make for a tasty, filling, and appropriate accompaniment to the main meal. However, egg noodles aren’t necessarily the only option available to you.
Some places in Russia and China serve this dish with rice instead of pasta, along with a sprinkling of paprika.
One of the original recipes for this dish actually used crisp potato straws as a side dish, which is still used very commonly in Russia today.
You could even serve it completely on its own, helping to cut down on the carbs. The great thing about this dish is how versatile it is; it works with basically anything!
Do You Need An Instant Pot For This Recipe?
Instant Pots aren’t the most common piece of kitchen equipment, but they, without a doubt the handiest and convenient. This dish is traditionally prepared without any kind of pressurized cooking; it is instead usually made with a long, slow cook to tenderize the beef and get the sauce thickened.
However, this recipe is practically begging to be made in an Instant Pot – it’s only one thing you have to clean, and it gets everything perfectly cooked in only 20 minutes! You can use any other pressure cooker as well for this.
Looking for more delicious Beef recipes? Try these out:
Enjoy and happy cooking!
Don’t forget to PIN THIS RECIPE to your DINNERS Board and remember to FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST!
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Karlynn Johnston
- 2 pounds beef stewing meat cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil more if needed
- 1 large white onion diced
- 3 cups sliced white mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- one 12 ounce package egg noodles
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/ 4 cup cream cream cheese softened
- fresh minced parsley to garnish
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Whisk together the salt, pepper and flour. Toss the cubed beef in the flour mixture until coated, shaking off any excess.
- Press the saute button on your instant pot and heat the oil. Add in the onions and saute for 5-6 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Then, working in two batches, add the floured beef and cook until evenly browned, about 3-4 minutes. Saute the garlic until fragrant.
- Take a wooden spoon and slowly pour some of the beef broth into the bottom of the pot, scraping off all of the browned bits and onions, deglazing the bottom until it’s cleaned off. You don’t have to remove the beef for this, simply scrape underneath it, it works just fine!
- Add the mushrooms,Worcestershire sauce and any remaining beef broth.
- Select manual setting; adjust pressure to high, and set time for 20 minutes. When the Instant Pot has finished cooking, used the quick-release pressure according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Stir in the egg noodles. Select manual setting; adjust pressure to high, and set time for 5 additional minutes.
- When the Instant Pot has finished cooking, used the quick-release pressure according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Stir and check how much liquid is in the pot and if you want to thicken it before adding the dairy.
- IF needed, prepare the cornstarch slurry by whisking the ingredients together. Then rapidly whisk some into the pot, stirring quickly to ensure that there are no lumps. Add only enough to thicken the sauce to your liking.
- Once your sauce is as thick as you like, stir in the sour cream and cream cheese until melted.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve while hot, garnished with fresh parsely.
All calories and info are based on a third party calculator and are only an estimate. Actual nutritional info will vary with brands used, your measuring methods, portion sizes and more.