When it was announced that Philadelphia Cream Cheese was coming out with a chocolate version, bakers everywhere rubbed their hands together in gleeful anticipation of the goodies they would bake up. Chocolate cream cheese, ready to go and perfectly flavoured? Did they really just do that?
Oh yes. They did.
The very first thing that popped into my head of course, was cream cheese icing, already perfectly chocolate and ready to mix up with icing sugar. My mind got to wandering further when I read about their Chocolate Philly’s FB Breakfast in Bed “Likes” Challenge. Head on over to the Facebook page to check out this fun challenge and find out how you can participate!
Chocolate cream cheese for breakfast? In bed? Yes please!
Once my brain got over the fact that chocolate cream cheese and breakfast were a match made in heaven, it kicked into high gear. Those rusty gears in my grey matter started turning and a realization dawned upon me. In order for ME to have breakfast in bed, that would mean that I – for once- would not be preparing this meal.
Meaning that someone else did.
Meaning that someone else would have to be Mike or the kids.
With that said, I knew that any recipe that I designed to take advantage of the new Philly chocolate cream cheese had to be super easy, yet decadently delicious. I had really wanted to bake chocolate cream cheese into a sweet dough recipe – and that may yet be coming!- but alas, my husband and children simply do not have the culinary skills to accomplish that in the kitchen. Yet. Those kids of mine are in training, simply give me until they are ten years old and they will be making sweet dough all by themselves.
In order for my family to be able to bring me breakfast in bed, I had to develop a very simple recipe and not only for myself, but also to aid all those Mom’s who are taking part in the Philly Breakfast in Bed Facebook Challenge (and if you aren’t, why the heck not?!).
I came up with simple chocolate chip biscuits which you then fill with Philly chocolate cream cheese.
2 cups flour
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tbs baking powder
1/4 cup cold butter or margarine
1 cup cold milk
1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
(1) 250 gram container of Philadelphia Chocolate Cream Cheese
Kick the tires and light the fires : preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Take the 2 cups of flour and place in a mixing bowl, add in the baking powder and sugar.
Instead of sifting, take a whisk and mix the ingredients.
Take your butter and using a pastry blender ( or two knifes crisscrossing each other) cut the butter in, until it’s in tiny little pieces throughout the mixture.
Add the chocolate chips into the dry mixture.
Make a well in the dry ingredients, and pour the milk into it.
Mix it until it forms a soft ball.
Take the dough out and put it onto a floured surface.
Take your rolling pin, and roll it until it’s about 12 inches long, 5-6 inches wide and 1/3 inch thick.
Once the dough is rolled out, spread half of a 250 gram container of Philadelphia Cream Cheese on the top of the dough.
This is where I just started giggling out loud in my kitchen. I mean, look at this.
Sometimes things just look so darn delicious I have to laugh in anticipation of biting into the finished product.
Remove from the oven and cool on a baking rack.
Serve to Mom – in bed!- with a lovely cup of tea or coffee, adding in some fruit as well.
The new Philadelphia chocolate cream cheese is in stores right now – if you can find it, I’ve heard it’s flying off the shelves- but if you wait until May 21st, Philadelphia is going to be rolling out a downloadable coupon for their chocolate cream cheese, right on their Facebook page. I’m sure it’s going to be only a limited time but it’s absolutely the perfect time to try out this new product. It has all the dairy goodness of Philly plus the deliciousness of pure milk chocolate, but a 1 tbsp serving only has half the sugar and calories of the other brands. Nice!
There’s a printable recipe below, enjoy everyone!
I Am SO Eating Two Of These For Lunch Magpie
- 2 cups flour
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1½ tbs baking powder
- ¼ cup cold butter or margarine
- 1 cup cold milk
- ½ cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- (1) 250 gram container of Philadelphia Chocolate Cream Cheese
- Kick the tires and light the fires : preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Take the 2 cups of flour and place in a mixing bowl, add in the baking powder and sugar.
- Instead of sifting, take a whisk and mix the ingredients.
- Take your butter and using a pastry blender ( or two knifes criss-crossing each other) cut the butter in, until it's in tiny little pieces throughout the mixture.
- Add the chocolate chips into the dry mixture.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients, and pour the milk into it.
- Mix it until it forms a soft ball.
- Take the dough out and put it onto a floured surface.
- Take your rolling pin, and roll it until its about 12 inches long, 5-6 inches wide and ⅓ inch thick.
- Once the dough is rolled out, spread half of a 250 gram container of Philadelphia Cream Cheese on the top of the dough.
- Roll up the dough jelly roll style.
- Mark off 12 sections - approximately an inch wide each- and then cut them with a serrated knife.
- Place each section in a well greased muffin tin.
- Bake in the 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, until they are browned lightly on top.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a baking rack.
**Disclosure: This is a sponsored post that I received compensation for. As always, any opinions are mine alone and the recipe of course, is an original Kitchen Magpie creation!**