> 1½ cups all-purpose flour
> 3½ teaspoons baking powder
> 1 tablespoon white sugar
> 1½ cups milk
> 1 egg
> ¼ butter, melted
> ½ tsp vanilla
1 If you have a griddle (and if you don’t I highly suggest buying one) start it heating now on medium heat. I have a cast iron one that I adore, but it takes a while for it to heat up uniformly.
2. Dump your 1½ cups of flour into your mixing bowl.
3. Add your baking powder……your sugar…….and then either sift it, or, if you have never owned a sifter in your life like me, take your whisk to it and fluff it up.
4. Pour your ½ tsp of vanilla into the milk. If you like more vanilla, feel free to add 1 tsp instead.
5. Pour the ¼ melted margarine or butter into the mixture.
6. Beat your egg slightly, then add it as well. Stir everything up nicely.
7. Make a well in the dry ingredients, and pour the egg mixture in.
8. Mix it slowly until its almost mixed completely.
9. At this point, you have the perfect pancake base. If you want plain, keep mixing until just, JUST mixed. Not one more turn of the spoon more!
10. Pour onto your already heated griddle.Flip your pancakes when they are slightly bubbled on the surface and golden brown underneath. The key is a medium heat that is ready and rarin’ to go, so they instantly sizzle when you place them on the surface, but not so hot they burn.