1 carton Vegetable soup broth
1/2 cup orange juice
3 cups peeled, chopped carrots (I put a bunch of baby carrots in the food processor, pulsed, good to go)
2/3 cup (or so) red lentils
1-2 Tbsp butter (or coconut oil or olive oil)
1 med onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped,
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp chopped ginger
1 tsp majorram
1/2 – 1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 – 1 tsp cumin
1. Empty veg soup base in a large soup pot, add OJ, bring to a boil. Add chopped carrots and reduce heat to simmer.
2. Rinse red lentils, put in a small sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer until tender. Water should almost all be absorbed. (about 20 min)
3. Meanwhile, saute onion, celery, ginger, garlic in melted butter/oil for about 5 min. Add herbs and saute for another minute or 2.
4. Add onion mixture to carrots, making sure it is still simmering.
5. When lentils are tender, add them to the soup mixture. Stir and simmer for another 20 min.
6. Process the soup with an immersion blender (or transfer to a blender/food processor if needed) until smooth.
7. Adjust seasonings, and enjoy!